Question: would a tomz knife massager work for sharpenning

leo

Elite Cafe Member
ok I found some old woodcarving illustrated mag and found these sharpener called tomz knife massager when I check them out they are steal available in www.woodcarvingillustrated.com according to what I found out they come in two model a single disc or double disc also they included two diamond disc a 600 and a 1200 they also are reversible the price is 225 the only thing I did not like was that they run at a 34 rpm and it mite be low they have video in youtube if you like to see it in action

DKanger

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
It's for sharpening chisels. If you want to be a woodcarver, buy it. If it was any good, everyone would have one. If you want to be an engraver, multiple sharpening devices have already been discussed with you that work for engraving. Buy one of them. Newbies always seem to flounder around buying un-needed and un-necessary stuff that they end up not being able to use. In the process of trying to save money, they just waste it.

Marrinan

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
If you are going to sharpen gravers I would strongly suggest using a power hone. Either the GRS or the Tom White. After you understand what is required to sharpen your tools THEN experiment with other devices to save money on that second work station. There are lots of alternative innovations out there but first you have to understand what is supposed to happen during shaping and sharpening. Fred

tim wolf

Elite Cafe Member
I eyeball all my gravers, just buy a small grinding wheel to put on your micrimotor or hangmotor.
It cost like nothing. Just be sure you can use it for carbide.

dave gibson

Elite Cafe Member
Hi Leo, I use a Work Sharp 2000, you can get them on line for about $100 often with free delivery. 1750rpm, pretty fast but i've used it quite a bit and had no problems with heating, wobbling, grabbing, gouging or any other problem I can think of. I'm just a hobbyist but considering a hobbyist's budget I couldn't be happier. It does just what I expect it to do, every time with no problems. I use the thin diamond wheels, you can get them on eBay. I use a #260 & a #1200 then finish off by hand with benchstones and a ceramic stone. No problem getting a mirror finish everytime. You'll need to rig up a stand to set your sharpening jig on, a pretty simple project, but I found someone to make one for me.They also make the W/S 3000, a little bit bigger, about 1/2 the speed and about twice the price. I'm extremely satisfied with the 2000. Do the google search and you can get all the incidentals. PS, there is no speed adjustment and I don't think one can be hooked up, it works fine on one speed........., good luck

Latest posts

Sponsors