Question: Workholding thin gauge sheet silver

mtwheatley

:::Pledge Member:::
::::Pledge Member::::
I'd like to be able to engrave on relatively thin gauge sheet silver (eg: 22-24 gauge), and also engrave the sheet silver extending from the edge of a bezel on a pendant.

If I simply clamp the piece in my GRS standard block, it often bends before I can get enough pressure on it to hold it.

I know that pitch would probably work, but if I'm working on a finished pendant, the cleanup might be very difficult. Also heat around a soft stone can be an issue.

What about the themo lock materials? -- I would not have much room between the edge of the thermo lock and the bezel to work with.

Any other ideas?

Michael

DakotaDocMartin

:::Pledge Member:::
If you have a flat back on the pendant you could super glue it to a piece of 1/4" thick brass flat bar stock and then clamp the bar stock in your vise. Use acetone to release it. That might work.

diandwill

Elite Cafe Member
I use superglue on 24 and 26ga, glued to a steel practice plate. Acetone will dissolve the glue, but could damage a sensitive stone. I have used heat, but just my torch...I wonder if a hair dryer would work?

monk

Staff member
superglue is good, hot melt glue sticks a bit better, thermoloc way better for most applications. pitch works, but when trying to release the item, i always seemed to end up with a mess. whichever you choose, the thin stuff must be completely supported from the underside.

mtgraver

Elite Cafe Member
I use pitch and work in those gauges a lot. Once engraved I put in the freezer for 5-10 minutes, usually pops out without much if any residue. I clean up with isopropyl or methyl alcohol. If a delicate piece you don't want to heat, heat the pitch, if open backed pendant tape it over so you don't get pitch on a stone. Good luck
Mark

tdsilver

Hold small items

I use carpet tape. It's stickie on both sides. Put it on a pice of steel. Use acetone to remove very sticky. Good Luck !

Dave London

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Golf club handle tape stickey both sides, very thin no bounce,
alcohol to release
Thanks Jerry S