Work holding

tdelewis

Elite Cafe Member
Polymorph Plastic is an alternative to Thermo-Loc. Polymorph can be purchased on Amazon as well as other sources. It comes in a bag of plastic beads that will soften and come together when placed in water of 140 degrees. It then can be molded into any shape and when cools it will become a stiff plastic. There have been complaints that Thermo-Lock breaks down with use. When Thermo-Lock is heated in a microwave it has hot spots and can stick to skin and other surfaces. The 140 degree temperature makes it easier to use and shape.

AllenClapp

Elite Cafe Member
Polly Plastics is a similar brand that also has a package of colored pellets and a package of metallic pellets that can be mixed with the normal pellets to produce desired looks.
These types of moldable plastics can be used by engravers to take impressions of curved or domed buckles or other objects for use in bending overlays to a close fit before soldering them on. PLEASE NOTE: some of these plastics will fracture if hit too hard, but they are plenty tough for many uses. Most advertise that they can be reheated and remolded to something else.

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
years ago i tried plastic pellets (white} that were formed using warm water. cant remember the brand name. i found such to be more of a mess than a useful tool. i gave the stuff to one of the forum members. i cant remember his name. brain fog has taken it's toll.

Adder

Elite Cafe Member
Polymorph Plastic is an alternative to Thermo-Loc. Polymorph can be purchased on Amazon as well as other sources. It comes in a bag of plastic beads that will soften and come together when placed in water of 140 degrees. It then can be molded into any shape and when cools it will become a stiff plastic. There have been complaints that Thermo-Lock breaks down with use. When Thermo-Lock is heated in a microwave it has hot spots and can stick to skin and other surfaces. The 140 degree temperature makes it easier to use and shape.
Use polymorph plastic myself. Never tried thermolock though.

Jørn-Ove

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
Use polymorph plastic myself. Never tried thermolock though.

Jørn-Ove
nothing is perfect for all applications. but for me therm0loc is the most useful. it ranks right up there with hotmelt.

Latest posts

Sponsors