Work-holding for bowls. Slippery fellas

DocsEngraving

:::Pledge Member:::
::::Pledge Member::::
I’ve read through the archives for work holding and maybe I missed it… but other than the pitch-bowl idea (pitch in a bowl holding a bowl??) I’m pondering a couple of upcoming work items — one for a vintage silver bowl heirloom (no pressure) and the other for a motorcycle headlight housing.
Thoughts on best way to secure those suckers without damaging them?
I appreciate the counsel. I’m sure many here have done similar projects.

Last edited:

monk

Staff member
quite some time ago i think tira shared a couple of fotos of ways she held odd shaped items. those fotos my still lurk somewhere in the forum archive.

DaveatWeirs

not sure if it helps but I've done a few trophy bowls by getting a small sandbag, covering it with a soft cloth or leather chamois (the type you polish a car with) and a bunch of elastic bands. The sandbag takes the shape of the bowl, the cloth stops it getting marked from the sandbag and the elastic bands help stop the while lot from sliding all over the place. it's fiddly and you need a turntable set up to do it but it gets the job done.

DocsEngraving

quite some time ago i think tira shared a couple of fotos of ways she held odd shaped items. those fotos my still lurk somewhere in the forum archive.
Thanks! I’ll see if I can find something specific to Tira.

DocsEngraving

not sure if it helps but I've done a few trophy bowls by getting a small sandbag, covering it with a soft cloth or leather chamois (the type you polish a car with) and a bunch of elastic bands. The sandbag takes the shape of the bowl, the cloth stops it getting marked from the sandbag and the elastic bands help stop the while lot from sliding all over the place. it's fiddly and you need a turntable set up to do it but it gets the job done.
Excellent!! Sounds like a good pragmatic solution. Thank you!

allan621

I do bowls and hollowware all the time. For an heirloom anything make sure the sketch is approved by the owner, even if its a transfer. And have them check the size of the engraving and placement.

As far as holding it, the sandbag is a good idea. If you don't have a bag any thick towel will do. I take the block off my stand and put down a thick towel. Plus you really don't need any elastic bands.

Holding the bowl is simple IMG_0358.jpeg IMG_0357.jpeg IMG_0355.jpeg . I hold the bowl from the inside. I'm right handed so my left hand except for the thumb goes inside the bowl. The left hand holds the bowl steady while the thumb puts pressure on the outside.

If you decide to use elastic make sure they are rubber free since rubber will leave a black mark where its against the silver for a short while. Its a genuine pain to polish out.

Allan

DocsEngraving

I do bowls and hollowware all the time. For an heirloom anything make sure the sketch is approved by the owner, even if its a transfer. And have them check the size of the engraving and placement.

As far as holding it, the sandbag is a good idea. If you don't have a bag any thick towel will do. I take the block off my stand and put down a thick towel. Plus you really don't need any elastic bands.

Holding the bowl is simple View attachment 51450 View attachment 51449 View attachment 51448 . I hold the bowl from the inside. I'm right handed so my left hand except for the thumb goes inside the bowl. The left hand holds the bowl steady while the thumb puts pressure on the outside.

If you decide to use elastic make sure they are rubber free since rubber will leave a black mark where its against the silver for a short while. Its a genuine pain to polish out.

Allan
Hi Allan - forgive me if this is duplicative. Not spotting the reply I made the same day you posted. THANK YOU for this excellent cogent and detailed reply. Good word on elastic being rubber free. That would not have occurred to me. Part of my regular practice is frequent communication with the customer (I share plans via my Procreate sketches) to ensure there are no surprises re: size/ placement/ font/ detail/ etc.

DocsEngraving

I’ve read through the archives for work holding and maybe I missed it… but other than the pitch-bowl idea (pitch in a bowl holding a bowl??) I’m pondering a couple of upcoming work items — one for a vintage silver bowl heirloom (no pressure) and the other for a motorcycle headlight housing.
Thoughts on best way to secure those suckers without damaging them?
I appreciate the counsel. I’m sure many here have done similar projects.
Thought I’d give you an update, since you were gracious with the advice. Acquired sandbags of several sizes and wound up using all 3 at different times. Worked like a champ!!

Attachments

• 64E7497C-062D-4FCA-80B8-19E90CEF5DEB.jpeg
    64E7497C-062D-4FCA-80B8-19E90CEF5DEB.jpeg
    150 KB · Views: 24
  • 26D8A11C-EBF0-4573-96A5-91143B7B6CA0.jpeg
    26D8A11C-EBF0-4573-96A5-91143B7B6CA0.jpeg
    119.6 KB · Views: 24
  • D2979B97-7871-4D03-B103-BE23705E8A2F.jpeg
    D2979B97-7871-4D03-B103-BE23705E8A2F.jpeg
    149.8 KB · Views: 24

DocsEngraving

PS - I know!! I’m a rule-breaker cutting right through that black powder coat, but the client really wanted it, and the final affect turned out pretty nice, if I may say. That billet aluminum breaks off cleanly with no significant rough edges to contend with.

Sponsors