Work area Question

ECO-DAVE

Hello,
I am trying to decide between the garage and the house? Could you guys/gals let me know where you do your work? If at home anyway. Is clean up a big deal in the house?
Pro/Cons if there are any.

Thanks
David

JJ Roberts

:::Pledge Member:::
::::Pledge Member::::
Shop

Dave, I see you live in Arizona I thinking a room in your house is the best, unless you have an air conditioner in the garage. I have my shop in my home on the second floor, my commute is just down the hall.:thumbsup: J.J.

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
i think the choice you make is purely situational. i'd be reluctant to advise on this. fyi, i happen to work "in house". one thing that could help you decide- make a scaled drawing of all the location options. create scaled drawings of all your equipment. print all this out & you can maybe determine which choice affords the most work area with the least inconvenience to yourself & others. this technique can show you what may not come to mind just looking in the actual area in question.

dlilazteca

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I don't have a garage but I have a man cave for me I have to work in the man cave because using a high speed rotary tool creates very fine metal dust particles that I wouldn't want my kids breathing not to mention all the metal chips from engraving end up on the floor could easily stick one of my kids.

Another thing to consider is your compressor unless you have a 1200 dollar silent-air compressor then you have no worries about sound, but if you don't I would suggest the garage.

If I don't feel like cleaning up that day I don't have because it's my spot.

Carlos De La O III

Last edited:

Texasgerd

Elite Cafe Member
Big one is to make sure your flooring is stable. This typically means a concrete floor. You'll notice people walking across a floor "jiggles" your work under a scope. Consider the dust you'll encounter in the garage also. I'd also second Carlos' inputs on the compressor and metal chips.

We all know our spouse gets the largest vote in where many of us end up setting up shop, but having a GOOD baseball team (not the Yankees) on the TV helps.

scott99

Elite Cafe Member
Work space over flow

Hi,I work inside the house,but then my Wife also makes things so she understands.Before engraving I was making target pistols in a small machine shop in my basement and one Wisconsin winter long ago She (my wife:bow:) thought it was too cold there and gave up a room upstairs for me to do all the hand work in.:)

So from tuning small gun parts and stuff I started to carve Netsuke there as well. Over the years I ended up doing all my hand work there and the machine shop in the basement became a place to go and get machine work done and everything else came upstairs.:biggrin:

When Engraving came up all that stuff consumed the rest of my upstairs room.I am snug as a Bug when I work and my Wife :bow: still seems to rather have me warm and comfy rather than in sweaters with a cold nose.

I am very lucky that I am able to do things in comfort, but on the other hand things do get to an over flow state once in a while.

I guess all I am saying is if you can work in comfort that makes everything else better,but over flow might become a problem for you some time in the future. :thinking:

Have fun ,keep cool or warm. Over flow happens but always works itself out one way or another.:thumbsup:

scott99 :tiphat:

dlilazteca

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Big one is to make sure your flooring is stable. This typically means a concrete floor. You'll notice people walking across a floor "jiggles" your work under a scope. Consider the dust you'll encounter in the garage also. I'd also second Carlos' inputs on the compressor and metal chips.

We all know our spouse gets the largest vote in where many of us end up setting up shop, but having a GOOD baseball team (not the Yankees) on the TV helps.

Lol......its espn highlights I'm a Dodger fan always have always will.. That's what just happened to be on when I snaped my picture

Carlos De La O III

ECO-DAVE

Thanks everyone.... Looks like I will be in the garage. I live at 7600 feet so it gets very cold in the winter. Do most of you wear something to keep metal chips off your cloths?

Roger Bleile

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Thanks everyone.... Looks like I will be in the garage. I live at 7600 feet so it gets very cold in the winter. Do most of you wear something to keep metal chips off your cloths?

I wear a shop apron. When I'm done cutting, I get hold of the bottom and shake out the apron over a trash can. Keeps metal chips out of your clothes and off the floor.

dlilazteca

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I wear a shop apron. When I'm done cutting, I get hold of the bottom and shake out the apron over a trash can. Keeps metal chips out of your clothes and off the floor.

I agree with Roger on the apron but for high-speed burr I just bought 20 used long sleeve work shirts for $25 online the high-speed chips / powder really gets into your skin if you don't cover your arms. That way when I'm done I just toss it into my personal bin and wash those at a laundromat don't want any metal material in my home washer.

Carlos De La O III