Wood turner needed.

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
Any wood turners for hire? I need a wooden base made for an antique engraving vise. It's for display and not necessarily for engraving. The photo below is of a miniature vise with a wooden base, and I would like something similar to this, but it doesn't necessarily have to stand this tall.

My vise is around 4" in diameter. The wood should be dark or stained dark. Nothing glossy. I suppose it could be a wooden ring.

Anyone interested?

base.jpg

FANCYGUN

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Sam
That's a nice simple wood base. Whoever hads a wood lathe would need to have a face plate attachemnt to turn this as it is not if the style to turn between centers. You need to turn it like you would a bowl. It's really a simple tuning. I have a friend with a lathe but not certain if he is set up to do faceplates. I will ask him and if he does i can turn it for you once I get back in form here, as he doesn't know how to use it yet.
Marty

Sam

Staff member
Thanks Marty. If I still had my lathe I'd turn it myself. Thanks for checking for me. :)

mitch

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
wasn't somebody's daughter here at the Cafe turning graver handles? (can't remember who...) maybe she could handle this?

Sam

Staff member
That was Ray Cover's daughter. I wanted to order some but I'm not sure if she ever got going with it.

glstrcowboy

Elite Cafe Member
Looks like a neat project. I have a lathe and a faceplate. I'd need some detailed drawings. What kind of wood do you have in mind? If you're in a hurry, though I'd find someone else as I work about 60 hours a week.

Sam

Staff member
Not in a huge hurry, but I'd rather not wait weeks for it. What kind of turnaround time would you estimate?

glstrcowboy

Elite Cafe Member
It doesn't look like a difficult project (do they ever?). Shouldn't take too long on the lathe for the majority of the work. The hang ups would be the tolerances you require on the ball mating surface and lead time on the wood if I don't have something suitable laying around. If it is a display piece that just has to turn smoothly and you aren't picky about the wood, I can probably knock it out this weekend as long I get dimensions by Friday. If you want rare amazonian buffalowood with a prefectly machined 6AL4V Ti insert for the ball to ride in, it may take a little longer! Unfortunately weekends are really the only time I have for side work. No offense taken if that doesn't work for you.

Mike Coggeshall

Sam

Staff member
Mike: It's a display base. Nothing special tolerance wise. Any dark hardwood will suffice or a hardwood I can stain dark. Can you please email me at alfano[at]gmail.com and I'll send you some dimensions? Thanks!

aalv2003

Sam, if you get me a drawing with measures I will turn it for you as a gift. Im far, but Im experienced buying stuff there in USA and shippment is not very expensive. I have some nice wood blocks, also I can get some hard local wood if you want (curupay, lapacho, etc.)
Alberto.

Sam

Staff member
Thank you Alberto. That's very kind of you. I sent glstrcowboy a drawing so I believe he's going to make it for me. :)

aalv2003

OK Sam, please post a pic of the base when finished.
Hey Sam, remember me? I contact you long time ago asking about you moving temporary to Spain or other country in Europe to teach some course. Im back in Uruguay now, these reason I forget the possibility of your move. My last chance is o go to your shop to get classes next time I'd go to USA. Last chance to tempt you is we have here THE BEST BEEF AND BBQ ON THE WORLD, really! better than argentinian! well, maybe you are vegetarian, then the hope go away, hehe!! Best regards.
Alberto.

Sam

Staff member
The beef & BBQ sounds great, Alberto! I'd like to teach in your country or in Spain at some point. Maybe we can work out the details. I would enjoy that. :)

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
give me a dimensional drawing. my delta is getting tired of gathering dust. i can get a hunk of dark, exotic wood if you like.
724-678-7855

Sam

Staff member
Thanks monk. I sent glstrcowboy a drawing so I believe he's going to make it for me. :)

D Goldenberg

Hi Sam, If there has not been an offer yet I can easily turn this for you. Call me if you still have a need 203 798 2827. I bought your latest engraving video -great work! Dave Goldenberg

Latest posts

Sponsors