William Henry - Thor - mightiest of the Gods

Artemiss

Elite Cafe Member
Thor - mightiest of the Gods

In Norse mythology, Thor was mightiest of the Gods and the focus of many legends.
Red haired & bearded, he was the son of the Father God Odin.

This knife contains his image within a depiction of his famed war hammer 'Mjolnir'.
His chariot was drawn by two strong goats and these face outwards, above 'Megingjoro', his belt of power, which doubled his already enormous strength.

These key themes are repeated on the reverse which also features a depiction of the dragon headed boat from which Thor caught the enormous Midgard sea serpent, Jormungandr which took his bait of an entire oxen head. Thor subdued the serpent with a blow from his hammer before it sunk back beneath the waves.

It will finally re-emerge from the sea for a final battle 'Ragnorak', during which it is killed by Thor, who manages to walk nine paces before falling, fatally poisoned by the serpent's venom.

82mm long scales.

Cheers,

Jo

Last edited:

Jörmungandr

Elite Cafe Member
Well done. I was pleasently surprised when I saw the knife and read the story. Thank you for showing us.

Jörmungandr was the world serpent, and this is mostly likely a early story of the encounters between Tor and Jörmungandr, more incidents happen later on before Ragnarök. In the stories that I've heard, Tor only had to wear the megingjörd in the beginning, his strength grew so much that he could wield Mjölnir with only his iron gloves, thus my conclusion that this is when he and the serpent are relativly young.

I like especially how you did the goats (Tanngnjóstr and Tanngrisner). A fun thing about these goats that they have kinda survived christianity, alot of things and myths was casted out by the church, but also some was assimilated. So even to this day here in Sweden we have straw goats sitting here and there during christmas.

Sorry for babbling away..

//DQ

rod

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Top flight work, Jo,

In every respect! I particularly like your design harmonizing beautifully with the forged steel blade pattern.

A knife anyone one would be proud to own, and treasure.

best

Rod

Marcus Hunt

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Jo does really well Martin because a) she's got the right mindset and attitude to be a very good engraver and b) she does something that is really important, she happily listens to any critique then actually puts it into practice. She doesn't just nod and make the right noises she has a natural ability to understand and act upon it. And this is because she's really 'hungry' to become a good engraver and because of that it's happening. Well done Jo!

You are in for a treat when/if she posts the pictures of the Celtic watch she's just done for me. We have to let the client see it first though:thumbsup:

Last edited:

Latest posts

Sponsors