Will this work?

Southern Custom

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I am trying to play with a borderless design for 1911 slides. Something that works with a logo smack in the middle. So I worked up this rough and before I really clean it and work the leaves over, I thought I'd get an opinion as to whether the scroll placement works. In particular tapering towards the muzzle. With a border and or relief, I'd fill the area but I'm trying this without a border. I'm trying to keep the two angles shown by the lines so everything moves forward. I don't want to waste anymore time with this if the consensus is that it just doesn't work. And I'm open to suggestions as guns are not my thing. Yet!

Attachments

• 001.jpg
    001.jpg
    41.6 KB · Views: 234

Beathard

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
It will work, but most 1911s have ridges to add grip for working the slide and text. Many do not have as much blank space available as you are showing.

Southern Custom

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
This shows the front section of the slide. It's from my Ed Brown. The scrollwork shown starts at the rear slide serrations and there are none on the front. I was mainly concerned about the feel of it visually.

Beathard

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I like it... I prefer guns without borders, even though most of mine have them.

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
i think the design is ok. i do not follow "the rules" all the time. esp true if i allow input for design from a client. i think something can look really great if the rules are broken,--- and it looks good. if the "rules" had been followed without question, we would all be speaking latin and doing our calculating with an abacus. just my thoughts on things.

Dave London

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I would reverse the first scroll to have the small starter at the lower left of the slide,then reverse the rest MTC, looking good

Southern Custom

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Thanks for that Dave. I was on the fence with that one. On the back square section behind the cocking serrations I placed the starter as you said. I thought I might flip that to add some interest so the two didn't look alike. But that's why I asked for another opinion. I'll rework the other way and see what the consensus is after I clean it up.
Layne

Big-Un

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I try and place my scrolls facing upward and forward. Scrolls starting down just don't seem right.

Bill

SamW

:::Pledge Member:::
Castle Valley, UT in the Red Rock country
Switching the rear scrolls may give a better solution to the upward moving scroll just ahead of the ejection port which looks out of place in the first draw. Also, with no borders, pay close attention to having the edges of the scrolls run parallel to the frame outline, just as you would if you had a border.

Roger Bleile

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Expanding on what Sam wrote above, even if you are not going to cut a border, it is best to draw a border in your design to give you a boundary to work up to.

Southern Custom

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Sam and Roger,
I like what I'm hearing and I'm glad I asked. I don't trust myself when breaking away from tried and true work. I understand what you guys say about working with borders. Especially at the rear. Simple fixes.
This brings me back to my first issue: the taper of the scrolls towards the muzzle. I'm obviously not filling bordered space as it sits. But, will it work with this small taper. It feels right to me but I wanted an opinion from someone who's seen it all.
Thanks for the help guys. It's a wonderful thing to have access to your experience until I gain that myself. I'ts a long road. I learned to cut a nice line a long time ago. It took years before I learned to draw passable scrollwork after years of small scale jewelry engraving. Now designing to fit a given space and what works within that space is a whole new thing to learn.
I think I went about engraving backwards. Should of started with a pencil and an outline of a receiver 10 years ago!
I'll post a couple of versions as time allows.
Layne Z

Southern Custom

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
You answered my question as I was asking it. Sam thanks again. And I do hope you have that guitar with you in Vegas Sam. As a musician and engraver, that is like candy to a sweet tooth!

Last edited:

SamW

:::Pledge Member:::
Castle Valley, UT in the Red Rock country
Yes, I will have the guitar and you will be able to play it if you like. Hope to have a playable baritone ukulele with me as well. I have spent time in Baton Rouge many years ago. One of my uncles was professor of chemistry at LSU.

On the tapered scroll just try to have the blank or negative areas above and below looking balanced and all will be fine. I would try to line the tip of the scroll up with the center of the front vertical edge of the slide.

Southern Custom

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Really glad to hear you mention that about the taper. That little arrow in the drawing was to remind me to go back and center it. I'm just glad to know that leaving that much negative space towards the muzzle is a sound idea. I'll run with it. Thanks again.
And I look forward to picking a few notes on your beautiful box. I'll have to bring a fiddle along. The baggage checkers are going to think I'm a fiddle playing gun runner.
Layne