Where do you get your Steel?

Donny

Elite Cafe Member
Everyone please chime in:cool:

I went to my "normal" place (metal scrape yard) to buy some steel, brass, and copper to replenish my practice pile.

And there was almost nothing that would work for me...I bought a piece of Stainless that is giving me a pain in the neck to polish(just aint working).

So the question begs "Where do you buy your steel to practice on?" and "What type?" I already use the GRS plates but I would like some larger pieces to simulate a Winchester 73 action or that of a shotgun.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Donny

http://www.onlinemetals.com/merchant.cfm?pid=4808&step=4&showunits=inches&id=199&top_cat=197

Hi Don,

I would try these guys if your local source has dried up.

Also, McMaster-Carr has sheet metal if you are in a hurry, but it will be higher in price, but they usually have what I want in stock.

Also, check and see if any of the large companies in your area has a surplus outlet. We have a Boeing Surplus in Wichita, KS. And a place called "The Yard". They have all kinds of surplus sheet.

The copper and brass have all dried up due to the price of copper. They sold it all for scrap when the price got high. I haven't found any copper there for a very long time.

Sometimes roofing places will have copper scrap. That may all be gone too.

Also try:

http://www.trackofthewolf.com/Categories/PartDetail.aspx/455/1/SHEET

Regards,

Matt

Last edited:

Joe Jacob

Try the yellow pages. Look up "sheet metal" or "sheet metal fabricators" they will usually have a scrap bin that you can pick through and it will cost you little or nothing. If the metal is galvanized you can remove the zinc with a little caustic or acid.

Donny

Elite Cafe Member
Thanks guys!!! I am in contact with Speedymetals and it seems like they and Onlinemetals can get me what I need.

Donny

DKanger

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I am in contact with Speedymetals and it seems like they and Onlinemetals can get me what I need.
Donny,
Check their shipping prices. I can't remember which one, but I ordered a 4" piece of DOM tubing that cost four bucks. They charged me $18 freight on it.

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
guess i'm lucky. there's a couple fabricating plants around here. i know the guys at the junkyard,and they inform me when the "good stuff" comes in. copper, brass, ss, mild steel, etc.

Latest posts

Sponsors