When Sketches get out of hand

wowilson

Elite Cafe Member
Well, this one went off of the rails, but darn if I didn't enjoy drawing it. I learned a lot from this, and see some things that I will have to do better next time. Advice and tips welcome.
Thanks Wade
Knife Bolster_1.jpg

wowilson

Elite Cafe Member
Yeah, I agree..But it's the hinge screw for the folding mechanism. So it's there to stay. I have looked to see if I could find a plain screw.

Andrew Biggs

Hi Wade

That is a very nice drawing you have done and the dot background is also pleasing.

If you can do something about that screw.........then all the better.

It will be great to see it when you've finished the cutting.

Cheers
Andrew

mitch

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
hi Wade-

the overall design has potential, but it illustrates the pitfalls of drawing at a scale much larger than the actual item. assuming the bolster in question really isn't 5" long, you'll have a heck of a time cutting all that microscopic detail- then shading it- when it's reduced to actual size. i prefer to design at 2x (an allowance for pencils being a cruder tool than gravers), while keeping a 1x tracing at hand to constantly check that what i'm drawing will work ok at normal scale.

wowilson

Elite Cafe Member
Thanks Andrew, that is kind of you to say so.

Right Mitch that's the point. This is the first complete drawing that I have made. I usually work at 1:1 scale and have been studying the way the parts work together. So when I made a small sketch of this design I thought, What if I worked at say 10X and see how much stuff I could fit in, and that's where it got out of hand. It went from a workable sketch to an art project. There is no way that I could cut this design right now, I am just not there yet. However If I hadn't continued this design I wouldn't have learned as much as I did. As you can see there are plenty of sour notes in this drawing, but that's okay, I have to rework it to make it practical. I would like to say that I feel like I really learned some good tips by going through older posts on this site, and I thank everyone who takes the time to help out their fellow artisans.

mitch

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
So when I made a small sketch of this design I thought, What if I worked at say 10X and see how much stuff I could fit in, and that's where it got out of hand. It went from a workable sketch to an art project.

i thought perhaps that was the case, but you hadn't specifically said so. it is a fun exercise to work big, but... :confused:

Latest posts

Sponsors