What's on my bench

GTJC460

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Right now I'm working on a 1911 A1 project. The grips are being replaced with custom made Damascus steel grips. I'm working on the inlay of fine silver and pure gold.

The border lines look a little rough right now as those are being inlayed as well.

I thought I'd post this quick pic as its really starting to come together as the grips are the final segment of this job.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    64.6 KB · Views: 511

scott99

Elite Cafe Member
Hi,nice project. I was wondering if those grips are solid or hollowed on on the back side? If they are solid how is the balance of the gun affected? If solid I would think they are a bit heavy.

scott99

GTJC460

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Yes. They have a hollowed out area on the backsides. They are not really that heavy.

I don't really think weight is an issue on this gun. I doubt it's going to see many rounds fired through it after I'm finished.

DKanger

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
When you re etch the steal how will that affect your inlay?
It polishes off easily. I have a chunk of Kevin Cashen Damascus and will be making a Damascus lock plate for an Alex Henry English rifle from it.

GTJC460

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
When you re etch the steal how will that affect your inlay?

Hopefully very little if any! I'm not going for a deep etch. Just enough to make the different colors of metal noticeable.

I got the concept of the inlay from the Damascus Lindsay airgraver handle that Barry Lee Hands did.

The inlays are pretty deep, both where the teeth are located and the undercuts around the edge. I had to use 22ga wire to inlay with so that means after sanding/polishing there's about .4-5mm worth of metal buried in the inlay.

GTJC460

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
These are the finished grips. I delivered them to a very happy customer tonight.

I used ferric chloride to lightly etch the steel. Basically just enough to bring out the colors. At room temp the solution took 30 minutes to get it right.

Sorry for the lousy photo. I didn't have time to setup for a good shot.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    58.5 KB · Views: 276

Arnaud Van Tilburgh

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
The grips look great. One thing I don't understand that well, the grip you show on top of this thread, they aren't the same ones you finished? I'm asking because you say you replace them by new Damascus grips.

arnaud

GTJC460

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
The grips look great. One thing I don't understand that well, the grip you show on top of this thread, they aren't the same ones you finished? I'm asking because you say you replace them by new Damascus grips.

arnaud

The factory grips made of rubber were replaced with these grips. The first picture and the last picture are the new grips, which I inlayed and engraved. They are the same. When I say replace, I referring to the factory rubber being replaced by these. I only worked on one set. The set seen in the pictures. They are the same.

The grips in the first picture had been etched when I got them. I had to file, stone, and sand them to a smooth surface. Do all the inlay work. Then re-etch the grips to bring out the colors of the Damascus.

Last edited:

Bama

Elite Cafe Member
Very nice work and thank you for showing them and thank you to your client for his service.

Latest posts

Sponsors