What is so special

rod

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Fred,

What was the name of that remarkable savant man who, on British TV and before a panel of judges, defined from memory Phi correct to more that 22,000 places of decimal with no error?

When asked later how he could remember so many numbers faultlessly, he replied, "I don't remember numbers, I remember colours, and I have assigned a colour to every number"!

Could be. I know that even a good eye can rarely get 17 shades of grey correctly lined up, but many can discriminate between about
70, 000 hues of colour (did I get that right?). So could it be the savant still had 50,000 hues of colour unused?

Does this score a point for art topping mathematics? Or might it be to do with the number of rods versus cones in our eye?

Rod

Last edited:

Marrinan

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
That sure was fast guys. Rod, I was amazed with both the gentleman's ability to recall numbers/colors but also the dedication of those responsible for checking his answer. Twenty-four hours of that fellas monotone recitation was worthy of not as well. I watched for about 1 min then gave it up as a bad job.- Fred

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
"Autistic savant Daniel Tammet shot to fame when he set a European record for the number of digits of pi he recited from memory (22,514). For afters, he learned Icelandic in a week. But unlike many savants, he's able to tell us how he does it."

Latest posts

Sponsors