What is "chasing"

Bill Tokyo

Can anyone recommend to me a book where I can find some information about chasing? As I understand it,
chasing is a relative of engraving, but no metal is removed in the process. Various shapes of punches are
used to move the metal around. One often hears the expression "cast and chased" as chasing as often
used to finish castings, or it was, at one time.

Chasing, as I understand it, is not just punching (like Southwest Indian jewelers use so well) but a method
of putting in lines and raising relief.

As the method of engraving I am learning is hammer and chisel engraving, with considerable emphasis on
making punches, I would like to learn more about chasing, if possible.

Bill

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
what is chasing

chasing is the decoration of thin guage metals with hammer and shaped punches. the punches are of many sizes and shapes. they merely cause indentations or decorative deformation you might say. this, unlike engraving, does not remove metal. the metal is placed over a resilent , but supportive surface. the hammer blows are driven to the punches around the design till the desired effects are acheived. i believe most repousee artists do this hammer work from the back side of the metal.this repeated punching in most metals will create hardening and now and then a torch is used to soften the metal.

Aloha Bill,
Look for Rupert Finegold's Silversmithing. It is primarily a book about forming metal but does have some information on chasing and repousee. If you can find Heikki Seppa's book it might help, but again he does spectacular metal forming. Anything he does with chasing and repousee techniques are secondary. Tim Mcreight also has information on chasing repousee and metal forming in one or more of his books. Oppi Untracht's book(s?) have chapters on chasing and repousee.

Monk is correct. Most of the forming is done from the backside but then fine details may be added from the front depending on the requirements of the job.

Hope that helps.

Aloha,
Robert Booth
The Koa Bench Goldsmith

chris

hi
bill tokyo
theres a pic of a shield i chased and engraved a while ago here under posting a photo i hope monk is right you must work from back and front with punches finnish detail with engraveing the only book ive seen is called chasing by marcia lewis it will give you basics to go on i got mine from centaur forge
blacksmiths supplies hope this helps
chris

Gargoyle

Official Cafe Stone Carver
Still used in bronze foundries; after the raw bronze comes out of the mold they chase it to clean up the imperfections and clean over where the sprues get cut off.

Jbardon

Moving metal

Ive been lurking in the shadows for a while just soaking up the knowledge so greetings to everyone from St. Louis. Back to topic, i have a great book on chasing Called Moving Metal: the art of chasing and Repousse by Adolph Steines. He is an amazing artist and his book has many great pictures of both finished art and techniques. Hope this helps, Jason

RoycroftRon

Elite Cafe Member
Chasing is actually what I do most of the time. It is not limited to thin metals but thin metals are most often used. Chasing has advantages and disadvantages compared to engraving. There is some distortion to the metal due to the fact that you are moving metals not removing it, so for an inlay piece engraving has an advantage. It also requires that the metal is softer than the tools being used, so chasing is most often used on the non-ferous metals. I have seen some chasing work in steel but I can not say if the same techniques are used.

I do not generally refer to the tools as punches, that implys a single mark like stamping and only relates to a portion of the tools used. Liners for instance will use a gliding overlap of impressions to make a line (requiring multiple hits to make a mark that travels the length of the tool). I have some examples of chased work on my website, and I have some tools pictured on my blog for those that may be interested.

http://www.vmstu.com
http://ronvano.typepad.com/vanostrand_metal_studio_r/

As for a book I agree with those mentioned before, but would add Oppi Untracht's "Jewelry: Concepts and Technology" an all around good reference.

JJ Roberts

:::Pledge Member:::
::::Pledge Member::::
Gentlemen...I suggest you go to this web site for a very talented young woman in Mexico..Rocio Heredia, Designer Metalsmith:

www.web-mex.com/rocioheredia

Rocio does classes at the Brian Marshall School of Engraving in Stockton, CA.

Yours truly,
JJ Roberts
School of Artistic Engraving
Manassas, VA

Sponsors