Question: what is best to get started

Gatekeeper

Hello folks --
I was trained a hand engraver (in Germany), I lived here in the US for many years now and would like to get back into engraving -- but I would like to start with an engraver machine - there are so many and I know very little about them. Can someone direct me to a tool I should invest in? And maybe one of you has one for sale....thank you much

Tim Wells

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
There are a few makers of air assisted tools and they're all good. You should try as many models as you can to make an informed decision as to what your preference might be. That would be my advice to you, rather than to just tell you what you should buy.

I recently picked up a Gravermach that is brand new and had never been hooked up by the previous owner, I hooked it up to test it and it worked perfectly. It has a magnum hand piece with it and it is made by GRS Tools so look them up and although the Gravermach was discontinued a year or so ago it is the same machine as the Gravermach G8. I might let that go to make someone a good deal that is starting out as I won't use it myself. I would advise to get another hand piece to complement the Magnum, something like maybe a 901 or a monarch.

Do some research, ask some questions like you just did and you'll find your way to what your needs are soon. Do a search here and you'll find many hours of reading on this subject and there is just too many options to just jump on one without doing your homework. Good luck in your quest.

Andrew Biggs

Tim is correct. Do your research on how it all works and all fits together. Search the internet, look at catalogues and understand all the options out there.

Searching the buy and sell on this forum is a good idea because there is a good second hand market for a lot of the gear.

Another consideration, if you are going to go the air assist way..............is the source of air. You'll need a compressor of some sort. They can vary from cheap and cheerful but noisy, to expensive but silent.

Cheers
Andrew

g.rohrbaugh

Elite Cafe Member
That is good advice from Tim and Andrew. Also check into members in your area that may have a set up that you can go over and see how things work. I know J.J Roberts in Va. has always welcome someone to come over and see his toys. I'm sure there may be someone close by where you can get a hands on experience. There are a lot of helpful people on this forum that can help.
Gary

Tira

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I was going to say the same thing. Let us know where you are or look for other engravers in the "Add your name to the member list" in the "Tips Archive" area above. Someone may be close to you and already have some tools you could see and try out.

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
one would never buy a car without a test drive. test drive all the power toys. you'll know what's best for the way you work. some time ago, one of the suppliers allowed a 30 day trial wllowing for return if not happy with it.

Latest posts

Sponsors