What In the H..eck was I thinking!!

griff silver

Elite Cafe Member
Ever started a project and thought; OMG what did I git myself into. I started these today and it sucks. I can only imagine what some of you guys have gotten into. Any horror stories?:beatup:

Attachments

• scroll spurs.jpg
    scroll spurs.jpg
    85.6 KB · Views: 328

Haraga.com

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I would say that if you started those today, and you are that far along, then you are doing just fine.

Darren

Elite Cafe Member
LOL, looks like your doing a nice job!! 25yrs ago I learned the hard way to stay the heck away from spurs and I haven't touched them since then. please post some pics when you got them finished.

TGenDS

Newbie question--what's wrong with doing spurs? Trying to transfer the design to match the surfaces? Anchoring to engrave? Type of steel? All of thee above? It looks awesome to me, so far.

Do tell--what am I missing here? :biggrin:

Last edited:

Haraga.com

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
It's the making of the spurs that is the money loser. To achieve a well made pair of spurs takes too much time. The engraving part is the easy part.

griff silver

Elite Cafe Member
Under most circumstances I would argue that spurs are quite profitable, however these will not be. I have built somewhere around 5000 pair of spurs, My shop is streamlined to do just that. Sadly what you said is spot on. "Nice spurs make no money" The spurs in the picture below are pretty good money makers they readily sell for $300 to 400. less than 20bucks in material and can be made in one day start to finish. To build a nice pair that will require lots of man hours the price will shoot so high that few people will be perspective buyers. The spurs I started in this tread will take 3 days labor to complete That will make them harder to sell. $250 x3 = 750 in labor. $80x 20% in materials. prorated shop overhead $17a day x 3= $750 + 96+51= $897. I do not beleive these spurs will bring $900 so yes I am losing money by building these instead of spending my time on a more profitable project..........but it will make me better:happyvise:

Attachments

• Spurs 001.jpg
    Spurs 001.jpg
    70.8 KB · Views: 181

TGenDS

Oh--got it. I can totally see that from the perspective of fabrication. (Forgive me, but I assumed that, as with some firearms and knives, spurs were purchased ready-to-engrave exactly because they look rather challenging/time-consuming/cost-prohibitive to make from scratch).

I am in awe of your work!