Westen Fabrication and Engraving Workshops?

Brian Marshall

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Stockton, California & Taxco, Guerrero, Mexico
Western Fabrication and Engraving Workshops?

I've put this over on the Buy/Sell section because that is probably where it belongs, but only got one response. So if Sam or one of the moderators thinks it should remain over there, just delete this and I will repost this updated version back over there.

I'm thinking of putting together a double workshop - either back to back or consecutive months. June would be the tentative starting point.

We'd do the fabrication workshop first and follow it with engraving what was just made.

Thinking of 5 or 6 days for each. With a day in between to recover a bit if done back to back?

Fabrication would include a rope edged buckle, some conchos - and if there was time - tips/loops/sheet & cast overlays. Maybe even a quick demo on using a press or casting?

This could be done in copper & JB sheet/wire which I could supply - or sterling sheet/wire - which would be an added cost to the student.

The engraving workshop of course, would be done on these items. You could be taking home a finished product.

Since I plan to be demonstrating all of the fabrication I would probably have an extra set or two of the items left over for a student or two who just wanted to take the engraving workshop.

Cost would be $850 for each workshop. Materials, notes and graver blanks included.

What I need to know is whether there are enough people interested in something like this (or either half) and whether they'd like like to see it done back to back or a month apart?

This will be the last time I will offer anything like this, because it's a LOT of work to be putting it on by myself. (and because by next year I will only be taking private students)

There are even a couple of rooms here on the place that might be available for a very reasonable cost during the workshops...

If you are at all interested or have any suggestions, let me know.

Brian Marshall
209-477-0550
instructor@jewelryartschool.com

Last edited:

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
brian-- you're ok here for my part. i sure wont nix this post. esp if it generates qn interest in learning new things that may be of interest to some of the members.

diandwill

Elite Cafe Member
After looking at some of Silverchips photo sequences, I am reminded of how much I do not know. Wish I could afford to attend, but alas, a struggling small business owner!

If any readers are thinking of getting started, this will be the best money you could invest! Learn 'how-to', the right way and right from the start. You will save countless hours and thousands of dollars (not to mention less heartbreak etc. from failed attempts)!

Haraga.com

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
That would be a very good class. I can think of at least one other guy that would benefit from it beside myself.

thughes

:::Pledge Member:::
::::Pledge Member::::
Sure wish I could do it, but I just don't see how. It's that struggling small business owner thing again.

Dale Hatfield

Elite Cafe Member
Brian
Pending on when it happens I would like both . But would need to rent a room. Ohio is a long way off Would need them to be back to back. Ive invested in the tools. Now I need to invest in the training.
Thanks
Dale

Brian Marshall

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Stockton, California & Taxco, Guerrero, Mexico
These do not have to taken as a pair...

It would be nice if you could, because I can see that there might be a problem balancing them out on my end - but I'll figure out a way if you want to come.

I actually have more benches set up for engravers than for fabrication...

If you are a decent Western style engraver already - or have someone to teach you nearby, then come and learn how to MAKE the stuff you engrave.

I can tell you from a lifetime of doing it that MAKING what you engrave or set stones in is far more satisfying than just doing one or the other.

You control the entire process from conception to finish.

B.

Last edited:

GTJC460

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I couldn't agree more with Brian. Taking an idea from concept to finish is the most rewarding thing anyone can do! This sounds like a very rewarding endeavor. I hope you get enough interest.

Latest posts

Sponsors