Announcement: West Coast location to learn engraving

dhall

:::Pledge Member:::
::::Pledge Member::::
Hello Folks,
I wanted to get the word out about a Southern California venue for beginners to learn hand engraving. The Gemological Institute of America (GIA) is offering a one-week "Hand Engraving Fundamentals" class.
The next class is Nov. 28 - Dec. 2. There's a 3-day follow-up class, "Engraving Your Loupe" the following week, Dec. 5 - 7 where students can put their new skills to use.
GIA is located in Carlsbad, CA, a bit over 30 miles north of San Diego, overlooking the Pacific. Visit https://www.gia.edu for more details. When the home page comes up, hover over "Alumni" and click on "Continuing Education". Scroll down a bit and you'll see the listings. You do NOT need to be an alumni to enroll in the class (but you will be if you take the class, ha!), but alumni get a discounted price.

Thank you,
Doug

dhall

Looking forward to seeing you there/then!

Had a great group of folks in the class held the week after Thanksgiving. Lots of learning, cutting and chips on the floor. Always a good sign.

@Lownherz_Leather mentioned the next class is in February. It'll be Feb. 6-10, if interested.

Thanks,
Doug

dhall

Oops!
My mistake, you are absolutely correct. Just checked the site and it is Feb. 13-17. So glad you caught my error.

Thanks,
Doug

Bolo4mo

Has anyone attended this course? There's a course scheduled for Aug 14-25 4pm to 7:30pm but when you hit register, it states 5 days 8-430pm. Tried calling the school but the person I spoke with doesn't have specific information. Any info on this is appreciated.

dhall

Hi All,

This was answered in a separate message, but for the rest who might be interested, the August class is 10 days, from Aug. 14-25, and it is from 4:00pm-7:30pm each day. Guess there's a little glitch in the web site, but once you enroll in the class (and no, you don't need to be a GIA alumni - it's open to everyone) a link opens to the online store where you purchase your tools and materials kit. The kit will be distributed on the first day of class. If you sign up for this session, just show up Mon. afternoon on the 14th, and we'll make it work, regardless of what the computer says, ha!

If you can't make the August class, the September class is 5 days, 8am - 4pm, Sept. 11-15. Hope to see you there.

Thank you,
Doug

I took this course and LOVED it. Doug was a great teacher and I learned tons. Felt very confident with my new skills after the course. Worth every penny. And in reference , I took the 5 day, 8 - 4 class ( but the 4 - 7:30, 10 day class sounds great as an alternative!)

ironbasher

Hi All,

This was answered in a separate message, but for the rest who might be interested, the August class is 10 days, from Aug. 14-25, and it is from 4:00pm-7:30pm each day. Guess there's a little glitch in the web site, but once you enroll in the class (and no, you don't need to be a GIA alumni - it's open to everyone) a link opens to the online store where you purchase your tools and materials kit. The kit will be distributed on the first day of class. If you sign up for this session, just show up Mon. afternoon on the 14th, and we'll make it work, regardless of what the computer says, ha!

If you can't make the August class, the September class is 5 days, 8am - 4pm, Sept. 11-15. Hope to see you there.

Thank you,
Doug
Hi Doug,I see nothing about the September class when I tried to register today? 5 days stay in a hotel is far better for me than the 12 days needed to attend the August class. Spoke to someone at the collective but still awaiting a responce.

ironbasher

Hi Doug,I see nothing about the September class when I tried to register today? 5 days stay in a hotel is far better for me than the 12 days needed to attend the August class. Spoke to someone at the collective but still awaiting a responce.
Update, the collective said the 5 day class in September is cancelled?

dhall

Yes, that's correct. Unfortunately the September class was removed from the schedule late last week. I was given an out of town assignment during that time frame and there was no other option. I'll give an update about the class schedule as soon as it's available.

So sorry for the inconvenience.

Best regards,
Doug

Latest posts

Sponsors