Watch the Sunday eclipse ... but watch your eyes!

rod

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
If you are on the path of this Sunday's eclipse, and with the luck of good weather, this will be a rare treat and opportunity to be awed by the complicated clockwork of our Solar System. If you were to wander around the Universe, you might have to wander far to find another conjunction of circumstances that matches our home base ... we have a very large single moon, that stabilizes our world, and by a miraculous coincidence, the perception of the disc the Moon and the Sun both make, from our view point, is almost identical... one half a degree of included angle. One object is gigantic and very far away, the other in comparison is very tiny yet very close, so they have fooled us for millennium, by looking about the same size, and this is very convenient when one overshadows the other.

Those of us near to Southern Oregon and Northern California should be lucky, and I am planning to drive north a few hours to the Redding area which should be on the optimum path, where the whole event will be seen from start to finish before sunset. The forecast is hopeful. May 20, around 5.30 pm local time here is when you should be set up.

By happy coincidence, our colleague, Katherine Plumer is in process of moving to a ranch in that area, so she and I and others will rendez vous up there, and I am looking forward to my first "Annular Eclipse". The moon will cast its shadow bull's eye over the sun, but the moon, being on a slightly larger radius in its elliptical orbit around our Earth, will not quite darken the sun completely, as it sometimes does in a "Full Eclipse". At maximum cover, a ring of light will still shine out at the rim, hence the term 'annular'. 88% of the Sun will be blanked out, and the remaining 12 % will still give some light, but, hey, it is virtually in my back yard, so I will be there.

Katherine has a special filter lens for her camera, and I am just adding sun filters to my binoculars which block 99.9 % of the sun's light, it is safe to watch the event this way with both x10 and x15 magnification.

Do watch if you are on the lucky path, but do watch out for your eyes! Sun glasses are a big No NO! Dark arc welders glass will work, or get some inexpensive card board frame filter glasses for a few bucks from your local supply.

Here I am fitting some removable specialty filter Mylar to my stuff. Apparently, one should not stretch the Mylar tight, as you see.

That funny aluminum tube thing on the big binocs will hold a green pointing laser. Once a very expensive gizmo, the price has dropped and it is very good as a pointer to aim your instruments. In this particular case, not much difficulty finding the target if it is an enormous local star called the Sun.

I plan to view safely, and I know you will! Don't forget the transit of Venus in early June?

best

Rod

Attachments

• eclipse.jpg
    eclipse.jpg
    116.7 KB · Views: 189
Last edited:

Karl Stubenvoll

Elite Cafe Member
Here in far Eastern Wisconsin, we had a line of thunderstorms pass through. I had just a short window to shoot, But SUNday lived up to its name.

Attachments

• Eclipse 2c.jpg
    Eclipse 2c.jpg
    38.9 KB · Views: 122

SamW

:::Pledge Member:::
::::Pledge Member::::
Castle Valley, UT in the Red Rock country
Got a good view here of some 90 percent plus though not fully annular. I did a little viewing with a welding lens but mainly used a pin hole "camera". It was fun. I look forward to the next one in 2023.

Arnaud Van Tilburgh

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Karl, sure that is a nice one. I could photo shop one as I'm on the wrong side of the world for that, but I'm convinced yours is real.

arnaud

My son and I drove inland to gain altitude and escape the atmospheric marine layer. We watched with a crowd of other people at from Berry summit elevation about 2200 ft. Wispy clouds made the pinhole viewers we constructed nearly useless but three stacked number 5 welding lenses made the eclipse viewable. During full eclipse we heard Blackhole Sun on the radio, listened to a spontaneous rendition of the Ring of Fire by the crowd of people around us an finally heard shouts by one enthused tolkien fanatic " MY Precious ". I feel fortunate to have been in the path of fullest eclipse but I still would like to see a total eclipse.

KatherinePlumer

Elite Cafe Member
It was a great evening for eclipse-watching, and it was lots of fun having Rod around, as always! As he mentioned, I'm in the midst of moving, so it was handy that I happened to be up there working this weekend, since the new digs are pretty much right smack dab under the central viewing line. Watching the eclipse was pretty cool. The light changed, the temperature dropped, and nothing makes you feel more like a tiny speck in the universe than standing there watching the moon move in front of the sun, that's just wild.

It's hard not to look at the pics and think they are of the moon. I'm totally drooling over that photo Karl posted, but I barely understand my camera's settings well enough to get what I got! ;)

Here's Rod hamming it up with some overkill eyewear:

And here's a link to my photo album of the pics I took (I shot a few hundred, most were terrible!)

https://picasaweb.google.com/rosecomb24/AnnularEclipseMay202012?authuser=0&feat=directlink

-Katherine

rod

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I am very pleased that Katherine has posted some of the eclipse photos she took, and they are great!

What a treat to visit Katherine's new base, not yet ready for her to move in, but when she does in the next weeks, it will be quite the location, with snow-white Mount Shasta on one side, and the Mount Lassen on the other side. I was enchanted with the beauty of the area and of its approaches, and so pleased to be inland, away from cold and foggy Mendocino for just a day or two. Meanwhile, my wife, Kathleen, is at this moment descending from 11,00 foot city of Cuzco, down to the top of the steep mountain top where sits the ancient Machu Pucchu at about 9000 feet approx. She could not see the eclipse, but she is seeing plenty, and will be home in a week to tell all.

Here are one or two peripheral shots that show the surrounds of Katherine's new location, and of amateur astronomers hard at work. I love wearing the ranchers welding helmet. I used to be an arc welder, but we never had this "Man from Mars" high fashion look in out protective gear, and, as you know, a welding dark glass is sun-safe to look through.

My friend, Arlo, flew his own plane to a god site in the Trinity Alps and posred these excellent eclipse photos:

https://plus.google.com/photos/1140...89194511617?banner=pwa&authkey=CN-wq4atkNu9AQ

time lapse:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DtkoAlwIpWY&feature=youtu.be

Rod

Attachments

• IMG_2974.jpg
    IMG_2974.jpg
    162.8 KB · Views: 43
  • IMG_3027.jpg
    IMG_3027.jpg
    200.3 KB · Views: 43
  • IMG_3029.jpg
    IMG_3029.jpg
    116.3 KB · Views: 42
  • IMG_3031.jpg
    IMG_3031.jpg
    144.6 KB · Views: 43
  • IMG_3032.jpg
    IMG_3032.jpg
    216.2 KB · Views: 43
  • IMG_3039.jpg
    IMG_3039.jpg
    135 KB · Views: 43
  • IMG_3062.jpg
    IMG_3062.jpg
    113 KB · Views: 42
  • IMG_3042.jpg
    IMG_3042.jpg
    200.4 KB · Views: 42
  • IMG_3040.jpg
    IMG_3040.jpg
    177.3 KB · Views: 42
Last edited:

rod

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Ed,

The fancy arc welding helmet belongs to the rancher, I just borrowed it, as I could not resist. My helmet is old school...half way between gray and black.

The rancher is the handsome young fellow in the photos above.

best

Rod