Want to learn some simple engraving... Where to start?

NewJersey1758

Hello,

I would like to learn how to do some basic engraving, but I am not sure about what kinds of tools I should get. I would like to do some really simple engraving for historical recreations. Stuff like this:

I have a pretty good understanding of how these are styled, and I can reproduce them in pencil fairly well. I have had less luck adequately engraving them into brass. I've bought a few gravers (but only one handle... showing my naivete), and have had a little practice cutting some lines and simple letters onto brass, but it seemed like the tool only dug into the brass and quickly became remarkably dulled.

What kind of tools do I need to do that sort of simple engraving? Where can I find good tutorials on basic work like shown, and using/maintaining the tools?

Thanks!

Keith

Elite Cafe Member
If you live in New Jersey, I'm in Lincroft. You can stop by and I can help get you started. PM me with your number and I will call you. Keith

Southern Custom

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
First spend a couple of weeks reading through this forum. All the answers you need are here. All that's left is the years of practice!
Good Luck, work hard and have patience.
Layne

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
what ? the very place you posted your fotos is an excellent place to start learnin what you need to get started.

Latest posts

Sponsors