Question: Vise support for microscope engraving

cropduster

Elite Cafe Member
Hello to All,

From reading Café posts, it appears the preferred vise support for microscope engraving is the modified drill press base, column and table. Is there anything else currently considered to be nearly as good or would I be wasting my time designing a poor performing second ?

Many thanks for any and all replies,
Cropduster

Ron Spokovich

Elite Cafe Member
No, you're not wasting your time in designing anything. It is showing that you 'think'! For any project, or idea, come up with an objective of some kind. Then, get your pencil, and draw. Look for anything you consider a 'weak point'. Take into account your position, bench thickness, material on hand, services available (machining/welding), and hardware. If you're not satisfied, consult with someone, or redraw your 'thought'. Those small drill press tables seem to be in vogue, and they do have some merit, but, they're not the last word. Think things out, and maybe better ideas will come to mind. To 'think' is not a waste of time, and you'll be 'thinking' when designing something to take the graver to.

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
i made an integrated scope cart/support. the vise support is adjustable-- 1.5" industrial lead screw. . shown is a foto of the beast. this evolved for me so as to roll around and push out of the way when not needed. there's many ways to skin this cat. mine is the one that works best for me.

Attachments

• SKOAP KART 005.jpg
    SKOAP KART 005.jpg
    24.3 KB · Views: 158

Latest posts

Sponsors