Question: Video engraving

unclejim1955

Elite Cafe Member
I've been thinking about looking at a monitor rather than through a scope. I know a lot of you shoot video while working, but I have no experience with it. Does anyone actually engrave by watching a monitor? What do you use? Any advice is appreciated.

mrthe

i think that will be very difficult engraving watching a video because you loose the 3d and the dept of the cuts , monitors are generally dor teach or show what you are doing.

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
Looking at a monitor is viewing in 2D. Looking through a binocular microscope is 3D. Not saying you can't do it, but you won't be working in 3D.

kcrutche

Elite Cafe Member
Jim

I have seen this subject come up on the forums before

As I remember nobody seemed to like the idea.

Ken

RT Bit and Spur

Elite Cafe Member
I had a monitor I engraved with and liked it real well. If I had had a better camera it would have worked better. You could make things real big. I could make a 3/4 inch disk the size of a dinner plate and as clear as a bell. I didn't have the 3D effect of a scope but did a lot of engraving with it until I got a scope.
Rod

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
i obtained an ao binocular inspection scope. i tried looking at engraving thru this system. rather clear optics, but would find it most undesirable to use for engraving. btw, i can get it for free, but thanks, no thanks. it may be fine for a jeweler, but not sure.

Latest posts

Sponsors