very tiny flat graver

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
thanks to the generosity of marian sawby, i was able to create an xtra narrow ( about.2mm wide ) flat graver. i had many other dental drills, but the ones she gave me were particularly suited to creating such a liliputian graver. it's for a duet coin i'm workin on with 3-finger dave. this graver was needed to solve a cutting problem in doing courage dog, which you see in progress. thanks again, marian. my apologies, i got your gender wrong, marian- please forgive me. i had a "marian" friend, and he was a guy-- sorry !!

Attachments

• SUB MM FLAT.JPG
    SUB MM FLAT.JPG
    36.6 KB · Views: 339
  • COURAGE1.JPG
    COURAGE1.JPG
    70.6 KB · Views: 391
Last edited:

Peter E

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
thanks to the generosity of marian sawby, i was able to create an xtra narrow ( about.2mm wide ) flat graver. i had many other dental drills, but the ones he gave me were particularly suited to creating such a liliputian graver. it's for a duet coin i'm workin on with 3-finger dave. this graver was needed to solve a cutting problem in doing courage dog, which you see in progress. thanks again, marian.

For those that may not know: Marian is the wife of Scott Sawby. She does some excellent engraving and her husband Scott makes incredible knives.

Chas

Monk--do you just grind the face? If there is a heel, how do you make sure you rotate the burr 180 degrees? It's a newbie question as I am sure there is a way, but I was just wondering as the body of the burr is round. I hope I am making sense here.

Peter E

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
If you have a jig such as the GRS Dual Angle sharpening fixture, once you mount the bur, rotating 180 degrees is as easy as loosening the knob and rotating 180 degrees on the dial.

The difficulty would be in indexing it the same when it needs to be sharpened.

KCSteve

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
If you grind a flat on the shank you can use that to index it.

With the GRS QC system you don't have to grind the flat - just don't take it out of the QC collet and use the little holder for the sharpener that lets you plug in a graver in the QC holder.

John B.

Lifetime Pledge Member
For easy indexing just solder or super glue the bur into a short piece of 3/32 inch square brass tube.
I can then be shaped and will be easy to index in almost any of the engraver fixtures.
This tubing is available at most hobby stores or MicroMark.com.
It is made by K&S Metals and is 1/16 inch inside.

Kevin P.

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
John B, thanks to your instructions in the 'tips archive' I'm preparing some 'micro' gravers.
I couldn't find the square tubing at Micromark, but smallparts.com has the 3/32" square tubing.
Kevin P.

monk

Staff member
easy as pie kids. i used the jb trick: i simutaneously soldered the drill into the front of a piece of 3/32" square brass tube. into the back of the tube was a suitable length of 1/16", or.062 round mild steel rod to prevent the brass from crushing.
the tool has a 15 degree heel and a 45 face. the width was very carefully, i mean very carefully done on the grs powerhone using the old style holder. since the tube has 4 sides , the geometry is very easy to create. but at this small size, a most extreme light touch is required. naturally, being nuts, i did the mini beast under power ! the flat cuts perfectly well.
ps: if i ever need a smaller flat, i'm going to sell all my junk to the lowest bidder, and quit engraving !

Last edited:

threefingerdave

Elite Cafe Member
Monk,
Courage Dog is looking GREAT
when do you think you will be finished?
I have made some of those really small flats and they are very useful
I contacted thhe Sawbys as they live about 50 miles north of me and they invited me up to visit...i am hoping to make the trip later in the year
looking forward to completing the courage dog coin with you
Dave

Kevin P.

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Thanks John B. I should have added "your experience may vary." I went to micro-marks web site and was unable to find them through a search. Perhaps my ineptitude or their web site's.
I just wanted others to know that the tubing was available. For those of us out in the hinder lands the internet is a very convenient source for materials.
Kevin P.

Kevin P.

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Monk, John Wayne's real first name was Marian.
But a question: other than the coin what uses do you find for this mini-graver?
I'm making some to try for lettering.
Kevin P.

monk

Staff member
kevin: at this time it's strictly being used on the coin. i made it specifically for the coin. the nickel is very soft and easy to work. this little graver might not fare too well on tougher stuff, not sure. it would be great for micro lettering. when i finish the coin, i'll give it a whack on some other metals and let you know how it withstands the abuse.

dave: the pooch should be finished in another couple of days, hopefully. for one thing, i'm growing tired of the dumb dog lookin at me while i'm lookin at him ! i'm tryin to out wit this dog , an it aint workin !

ChrisB

Elite Cafe Member
Monk,
Just To Chip in on this Late Stage, Somebody I can't recall a few months, Years Ago, showed me This.
I Grinded a Bulino Point Engraver, Then On The Sharp Edge at the Bottom of the SQ.
You Can Put a Miniscule Flat, I mean!! Maybe .02mm ?? Try It.
I have A few That I use.

monk

Staff member
CHRIS: i've seen that before, thanks. this wouldn't work here, as the tool has to be narrow in total width to get into very narrow spaces for clearance on both sides.

Latest posts

Sponsors