Vatican Pulls Medals Misspelling Jesus

DakotaDocMartin

:::Pledge Member:::
::::Pledge Member::::
Yes, instant collector value for the 4 that were sold. Not good for the die maker that can't spell. The old saying, "Never underestimate the power of a second opinion" comes to mind. :)

rod

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Fortunately, Doc,

Infallibility is only guaranteed in matters of Church teachings.

(Catholicism, the faith I was born into, has a pretty good sense of humour.)

Rod

Andrew Biggs

Someone asked in a recent thread what a burnisher is used for............well, this is exactly what a burnisher is used for. Rubbing out mistakes :)

Yip, the Left Footers have a pretty good sense of humour. :)

Cheers
Andrew

JJ Roberts

I keep my dictionary handy so I don't look foolish,last time I looked Jesus is in the dictionary and the bible. J.J.

Andrew Biggs

Hi JJ

The trouble is that it is the words we think we know how to spell that is the problem........the ones we don't know how to spell we look up in the dictionary.

When I had my sign business, spelling mistakes were the bane of my life. And I made some really good ones. Then when computers and spell checkers came along it was the best things since sliced bread. The trouble was all the software was out of America and had the American version of spelling. So that got me into trouble quite a few times. Now I'm the FEGA Engraver magazine editor I have to use American spelling which I don't always get quite right either as many FEGA members have noticed :)

So the lesson is.......no matter how careful you are, you will always make the spelling mistakes. It's not if, it's when. :)

PAUL LANTUCH

Elite Cafe Member
It happened to me couple time. Especially if you are working under pressure of time and authority.

DakotaDocMartin

Scottyd

The inscription is written in Latin and the Latin alphabet does not contain the letter "J". Big problem. Jesus has been written as Lesus or Lesous in the past. So the coin may not be wrong.

diandwill

Elite Cafe Member
Recently I engraved the inside of 3 SS bangles. They were done 'in memorium' and time was of the essence...10 words in each, so a pretty expensive job. Somehow, despite having the words in front of me, I paraphrased the saying. Lucky for me that the store rep agreed that it made sense, save them some money and was on time! Whew!!!