Question: ? Use of an Airbrush ?

cowboy_silversmith

Elite Cafe Member
Does anyone have experience using an airbrush to antique large areas and/or for spraying laquer as a protective finish? What brand is considered quality. What size nozzle is preferred for either application. Any other information would be greatly appreciated as well.

Thank you,
Greg Pauline

Andrew Biggs

Hi Greg

For that kind of thing a single action Badger airbrush will work as well as anything else and they are not very expensive. There are better double action airbrushes on the market but they are for proper airbrushing (e.g. painting pictorials etc)

Use a wide nozzle and make sure you do not have moisture in the line or it will ruin the work. When you spray with it go over the end of the work and take your finger off the trigger. Then sweep it again over the work. Do not come to the end of the work and then back track while still spraying otherwise you will end up with a build up of excess material on either end and it can start running.

Practice first!!!...get used to your working distance from the work as well because that will affect the finish. To far away and it goes "grainy" too close and it runs. Temperature also makes a difference. If the work is cold and you are spraying onto it then it can go like sandpaper. Try to get everything at room temperature as best you can.

Always quickly spray onto a piece of paper first to make sure everything is working properly. A couple of squirts generally does it. Never load it up and spray straight onto the work.

Prep work is essential and make sure your work is clean of any grease or fingerprints. And read the instructions on the lacquer etc so it keys properly to the surface otherwise it will flake off.

And the biggest thing is...................clean the airbrush properly after use. Always. Be really thorough about it otherwise you will get dried bits of material coming out of the end on the next job and the nozzle will block then you spend the rest of the day trying to fix everything.

It's a piece of cake once you get the hang of it. :)

Cheers
Andrew

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
how large is the area ? will you be doing a lot of this ? perhaps a fillable jar with a can of propellant might serve your needs. but the "preval" type wont likely give you the fine misting available from an airbrush. as with the airbrush, this unit must be kept clean after each use. when the propellant gas runs out, you simply buy another. i hope this may be an alternative for you.

Attachments

• SPRAYER.JPG
    SPRAYER.JPG
    17.8 KB · Views: 137

medicbeedge

I picked an airbrush up at harbor freight awhile ago to use for duracoating. It works great, only costs about $20, and if it dies after a few uses it was only $20. I would recommend a double action airbrush (the one I picked up) so you can regulate the amount of fluid coming out. With the double action you don't really need to worry about the nozzle size as it is variable. Hope this helps.

cowboy_silversmith

Elite Cafe Member
Thank you all for responding.

Andrew, thank you very much for your detailed and informative response, it is really helpful. I really appreciate the fact.

Monk & Neo Dutch~ I am looking into a system for production manufacture of sterling and sterling overlay belt buckles. The airbrush system would be in use almost daily. The largest area affected for antiquing will be no more than 4" X 5" and as many as a couple hundred pieces at a time. Other pieces as small as an average sized earring and done at a few pieces at a time. Then the laquer finish is for the buckles that have copper and jewelrs bronze overlays that need protection from tarnishing.

Medicbeedge~ Thank you for the info on the double action.

grumpyphil

Elite Cafe Member
If you are going to do production,look into an Iwata. They make a lot of sizes and are really high quality.

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
for production, the preval method would not do well. i use it mostly for putting "ghost" or misting coats of color on custom frames i build.