Critique Request Two new drawings

wowilson

Elite Cafe Member
Here is my work from the last two days. If you see something that needs correction please tell me. I am having trouble making the tips of my leaves look like they are curled up. and in general my shading need a lot of work. Any tips that you might give would be appreciated.
Thanks
Wade
Overlapping practice.jpg Square Practice.jpg

JJ Roberts

:::Pledge Member:::
::::Pledge Member::::
Wade,Keep drawing and you'll get better as time go by,get Ron Smith's book on advanced scrolls it will make big difference in your drawings and engraving. J.J.

Andrew Biggs

The only tip I have is for you to keep at it. You're doing well and getting the idea of it.

I've attached something for you to think about.

Try cutting a couple of these designs as well. A 50/50 approach really helps. 50% drawing and 50% cutting. One helps the other and gives you an understanding of theory versus practice.

Cheers
Andrew

Attachments

• Wilson-1.jpg
    Wilson-1.jpg
    81.1 KB · Views: 129

wowilson

Elite Cafe Member
Thanks J.J., and Andrew.
I am cutting the square design tonight after my 2 year old goes to bed. I don't think it will cause me any trouble. I have done a fair bit of engraving, trying just to work on the basics, and now I want to improve my design work. Thanks for the input and I appreciate you taking the time to mark-up the drawing. It's easier for me to be shown than told.
Wade

rod

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Wade,

First of all your ideas are good, and as Andrew generously posted, his critiques are worth taking into account.

I will just repeat my oft-posted little mantra.

Before we start cutting, as a general rule, I would invite you to lay a tracing paper over your drawing, and trace only the backbone of the scrolls and the way they connect, so all you have is the skeleton of your ideas. Now lay another tracing paper over that, forget about the complexities of your design and think only of the backbone form.
Draw a new backbone having the same design ideas, but think only about the geometry, and not the art.

If your intention is a symmetrical design, you can fold your design and see what you think, is it a good mirror image where you want that, always remembering that heavy hitters, like Phil Coggan and others, will often create a sense of symmetry, until you look closely, and notice intentional subtle differences masterfully adding interest.

Sometimes I get swept away in a design that shows good promise, and forget that, if I step back, my geometry is not quite right, not too bad, yet not quite right, and that is something best adjusted before we start to cut metal. I am not inferring that only scrolls that follow 'mathematical' principles are allowed, the proof of the pudding is to ask oneself, are these backbone lines attractive? That's all. The human eye, wide open, can be trusted in this matter. I always feel it is better for my eye to catch it beforehand, than someone else seeing it after it has been cut.

I look forward to seeing your results. Thank you for letting us see this design!

Best wishes

Rod

Last edited:

Latest posts

Sponsors