Tutorial contest anyone?

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
I've been really impressed (and grateful) for the fantastic tutorial contributions we've had lately. After all, sharing hand engraving information is what iGraver.com and the Cafe are all about. I believe if we have a tutorial contest, it might inspire even more members to write them. Would you like to see that?

As for prizes, we've had many generous members make contributions in the past. If you'd like to donate a prize, let me know.

I'll get some rules fleshed-out soon, but I'm thinking that tutorials you've already posted are eligible.

Feedback appreciated!

~Sam

Frank P

Elite Cafe Member
Sam, for the work you have put already in, the variety of them and certainly the amount, you are already the absolute tutorial king yourself!! 1000 thanks again!!

Andrew Biggs

HI Sam

Great idea!!

I'll donate a prize, no worries.

X1 art print canvas of a photo of your choice. In other words you send me the photo (has to be good quality) and I'll print it on art canvas so you can frame it. Size would roughly be 600mm X 500. Normally these things are about $120 (US).

Cheers
Andrew

Ron Smith

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I concur with Frank. Sam, you are the tutorial king. No doubt about it. No contest.
Rock on!.........................

and somewhere I have to get my other computer fixed (it crashed) so I can get back to work on my next book. It is obvious that good information is popular.

I think it will be a good tutorial.........and I am spending far too much time on this computer. I have put off getting the other one fixed, and that would be productive and very helpful for me as well, so I am going to have to stop, evaluate, and make a choice some day: This computer or that one. I might have to buy some more beans in the future...........Well hey, its easier than engraving, and it helps other people, and .......er......uh................when you get older, you get lazier..Ha Ha...............and I am reduced to piddling.

Mike Cirelli

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Great idea Sam
I'll bet GRS would kick in something, since allot of us use GRS equipment. Something like a whole system, or scope:) Maybe some QC ends, gravers or something like that would be more realistic. Even Gesswein or Stuller or the likes may even kick in something for these contests.

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
sam, get the prizes, i'll mail you my address. i'm surely the winner ! hunh i do have a gem or 2 i would consider donating- especially if i wuz the winner ! all kidding aside, iv'e enjoyed this forum more than you know. ihave learned far more than i could ever contribute. thanks to you, abigail, and all who lurk here.

LahtiM39

Hi Sam,
Put me down for a sterling buckle and let me know when and where it needs to be.
Tom

Sam

Staff member
Wow, thanks guys! I appreciate your donations very much.

Mike: I'm asking for donations from individual Cafe members, not companies.

Cheers / ~Sam

Mike Cirelli

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I understand Sam you don't want the forum to go commercial. I wasn't thinking that. I'm sure I could come up with something from the shop. I don't know how the Igraver tutorials are going to be topped though.

Daniel Houwer

Elite Cafe Member
I will donate a tutorial.
Since I have my Lindsay Airgraver PC I spend a lot of time ont Steve's forum.
I posted this Tut. there because somebody asked me to translate it.
First I was reluctant to do so cause no power tools were used. But did so because with power tools it is much easyer. Maybe the wrong place to post this but here it is.
http://handengravingforum.com/showthread.php?t=1665

Would have posted the clean Tutorial here, but there where to many picture's:eek:

CJ Allan

Elite Cafe Member
Kinda interesting.......

Sam & Steve are now having tutorial contests at the same time...
Wonder how many will be in both contests.... ??? :) :)

Just another one of my mindless little observations....... :)

Christine

Great idea-- maybe the entries could be printed out in book format ? I would be glad to purchase --revenve could be awarded to the winner. I'm afraid my skills would not warrant a donation of an object, but I would participate in some way.

Sam

Staff member
Kinda interesting.......

Sam & Steve are now having tutorial contests at the same time...
Wonder how many will be in both contests.... ??? :) :)

Just another one of my mindless little observations....... :)

Is that really the case? If so, I'll hold off on a contest if he started his first. I normally read parts of his forum every few days, but wasn't aware he was doing a tutorial contest. You're the first person to bring this to my attention.
In any event, the more tutorials the better, whether they're here or elsewhere. We all benefit from them.

Sam

Staff member
Ok, I just looked at Lindsay's site and see that someone pitched the idea of a tutorial contest on July 1. I was not aware of this and I sure feel awkward about doing the same thing here. Maybe it's best to put the idea on hold until another time.