Help, please: Trying to locate an engraving teacher on the West Coast

Ivalou

Hello to all! I'm a silversmith who's been eyeing the engraving skillset (and tools, tools, tools!) since I started learning pavé some years back, and am looking for teachers in Vancouver, B.C., where I'm based out of, and the Pacific Northwest/Cascadia region more generally.

I understand that Ray Cover used to be based out of Seattle but I've likely missed the boat on that one (he appears to be located in MO these days) and most of the other engraving intensives in the Cascadia region appear to have evaporated with him and the Revere Academy.

I know there are a few fantastic local engravers where I'm located, but I don't know of any that have access to a teaching setup the way, say, the GRS Training Centre or even the New Approach School would. I'd love to attend an intensive from either, of course, but feel that before I drop a few thousand on travelling to Emporia or Nashville I should at least do some diligence.

TL;DR -- Any clue where a side-hustle silversmith could find a teacher who could teach them the fundamentals of of air-powered engraving, tool shaping and sharpening, and basic cutting techniques on the West Coast?

FANCYGUN

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I would strongly suggest you come to Las Vegas at the end of the month for our FEGA annual meeting and show I know many of your questions would be answered by the members in attendance and you will see tons of inspirational engraving first hand you will also be able to first hand look at and try various engraving tools its worth the trip and your time

T.G.III

:::Pledge Member:::
::::Pledge Member::::
Hello to all! I'm a silversmith who's been eyeing the engraving skillset (and tools, tools, tools!) since I started learning pavé some years back, and am looking for teachers in Vancouver, B.C., where I'm based out of, and the Pacific Northwest/Cascadia region more generally.

I understand that Ray Cover used to be based out of Seattle but I've likely missed the boat on that one (he appears to be located in MO these days) and most of the other engraving intensives in the Cascadia region appear to have evaporated with him and the Revere Academy.

I know there are a few fantastic local engravers where I'm located, but I don't know of any that have access to a teaching setup the way, say, the GRS Training Centre or even the New Approach School would. I'd love to attend an intensive from either, of course, but feel that before I drop a few thousand on travelling to Emporia or Nashville I should at least do some diligence.

TL;DR -- Any clue where a side-hustle silversmith could find a teacher who could teach them the fundamentals of of air-powered engraving, tool shaping and sharpening, and basic cutting techniques on the West Coast?

Stockton Jewelry Art School

Brian Marshall

https://jewelryartschool.wordpress.com/contact-us/

From what I've seen he is back to teaching

suf

The closest you'll find is Warren Smith, he's in the Okanagan, he teaches and I've heard good things about his classes. Search 'Coast Handworks engraving' and I'm sure it'll come up. Brian Marshall in Stockton CA is the next closest if you are looking for proper classes.

Ivalou

Thank you all so much! I don't think the timeline is realistic to make it out to FEGA this time, but it is a fantastic suggestion.

Appreciate the leads on Brian Marshall and Warren Smith.

Sponsors