Trying to get into bulino engraving

PeterKramell

Hey all,

I've been practicing hammer and chisel engraving for a while now and would like to get into bulino engraving since the pneumatic and electric gravers are just too dang expensive. Does anyone have any advice as to what tools i should buy for bulino? Or just a list of tools for a beginner?

-thanks

PeterKramell

Also any good instructional videos or online coarses on bulino would also be great if anyone knows of any

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
there's literally scads of info here and on the net. grs sells quite a few dvd's on engraving techniques. get handy with the search bar. it can unearth much info. also check the classified section of the forum. lots of goodies for sale there by the members.

allan621

:::Pledge Member:::
Chris DeCamillis has an excellent online video showing his bullino technique. He starts at the beginning learner stage and along the way explains how different textures are made with straight cuts. I think it’s only available through Tira Mitchell’s site - engraver.com

Mike576

The DeCamillis video is great also get a few bulino casting plates from Fega to view under magnification. As for tools it’s pretty straight forward. I use the Phil coogan bulino point template sold by Steve Lindsay or a simple point by chucking my round graver blank into the drill to sharpen on a diamond stone same as a stipple dot tool. For hand pieces I have 3 Lindsay push graver handles one heavy solid stainless steel and 2 of his angle gravers. The hand piece really isn’t important for bulino work though. Check out the work done by firmo and Francesca fracassi. They have a few photos on their instagram which show the tools they use.

papart1

The furmio and friend have a cd..................................don't waste you money on it

Dani Girl

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I'd like to get as good at bulino as Firmo Fracassi. That's a very tall order I know. I do tend to aim high, but if I don't I won't see how good I can get.

How do I get from where I am to there?

I do have the two DeCamillis dvds where he does bulino of grass and reeds and water and birds and dogs... They're very good and a great resource for a beginner as he goes over everything, sharpening in great detail... how he thinks as he's moving along and all. Very good teaching. Crystal clear viewing. Good material.

What would other resources are there?

Mike576

I'd like to get as good at bulino as Firmo Fracassi. That's a very tall order I know. I do tend to aim high, but if I don't I won't see how good I can get.

I do have the two DeCamillis dvds where he does bulino of grass and reeds and water and birds and dogs... They're very good and a great resource for a beginner as he goes over everything, sharpening in great detail... how he thinks as he's moving along and all. Very good teaching. Crystal clear viewing. Good material.

Tall order for sure but exactly my goals some day as well. I have learned a lot from the YouTube videos made by Thierry duguet. He has a few which are very close up bulino scenes and he goes into the tools he uses as well. Got me to understand the way dots are used in varying density’s (in their spacing and depth) to give a range of tones. The videos are real speed and very long 2-3 hours which is amazing to learn from if you have time.

JJ Roberts

Thierry Duguet has been a good friend to me he turn me on to nice microscope I watch him engrave at the Chantilly gun show with H&C amazing talented engraver. J.J.

mtlctr

Elite Cafe Member

I would guess practice as much as you can. easier said than done, life happens.

Latest posts

Sponsors