Trigger Thumb

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
boxing gloves always worked for me. uh,duh an apology is in order here- i had no idea just what you were seeking. serious stuff for those using the tools we use. my wife had that in her right index finger. a simple injection in the palm of her hand cured the condition. this was done by an orthopedic surgeon. her problem has not returned for about 9 months now

Last edited:

Mike Frakes

Painful triggering or locking of the thumb is a common malady that can significantly interfere with hand function and the performance of routine activities. Much less frequently, a similar condition may occur in children. Historically, this condition in children has been referred to as congenital trigger thumb.[1] However, recent evidence indicates that it usually presents sometime after infancy; it is thus more appropriately referred to as pediatric trigger thumb.[2] See the image below.
Trigger thumb. A1 pulley has been released; flexorTrigger thumb. A1 pulley has been released; flexor pollicis longus tendon now exposed. Retractors have been removed to demonstrate proximity of neurovascular bundles (arrows) to tendon.
Recent cases and studies

Between 1994 and 2004, Li et al treated 7 children (9 thumbs; 3 right, 2 left, 2 bilateral) for trigger thumb with hyperextensible metacarpophalangeal anomaly (>60º) by surgical release of the first annular pulley (A1 pulley) and proximal advancement of the metacarpophalangeal volar plate. The patients had a mean age of 46 months at surgery (range, 26-82 mo); there were 4 girls and 3 boys; and mean follow-up was 64 months (range, 1-8 y). All patients at last follow-up had returned to full activity without limitation or pain, and none of the patients had a recurrence of triggering or metacarpophalangeal hyperextension deformity, demonstrating, according to the authors, that trigger thumb with concomitant metacarpophalangeal hyperextension deformity can be treated in children by A1 pulley release and advancement of the volar plate.[2]

In a study of 93 trigger thumbs in 83 patients, Chao et al compared the results with miniscalpel-needle percutaneous release with that of steroid injection. At 12 months, 44 of the 46 trigger thumbs treated with the miniscalpel-needle release had satisfactory results (measured by visual analogue pain scale and patient satisfaction), but only 12 of 47 thumbs treated with steroid injection had satisfactory results. No nerve injuries occurred in either group.[3]

Lange-Rieb et al presented long-term results of open operative treatment of trigger finger or trigger thumb in adults. Of the operations performed, 210 (76%) were for a single digit release and 76 (24%) for multiple digits. All operations were performed under tourniquet control with local anaesthesia as outpatient procedures using a transverse incision just distal to the distal palmar crease or on the flexor crease of the thumb at the metacarpophalangeal joint. At latest follow-up (average, 14.3 y), 234 patients were evaluated, with no complaints, and there were no serious complications, such as nerve transection or bowstringing or recurrence.[4]

rayf24

Elite Cafe Member
Michael
try sleeping with splint to keep fingers straight for around two week
it should go away by then if not see Doc you should only need it at night
? Are you right handed and is it only in right hand that its happening if so follow above and see if it helps well it fixed mine and have had no repeats in past 2 years

Ray

Roger Bleile

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Is that like snapping your fingers????

No, what happens is that the digit gets locked in the closed position but can be opened with enough effort. I have two trigger fingers on my right hand. It's not too annoying to me or I'd get it fixed. I'm convinced that it was caused by using a computer mouse, not engraving.

mitch

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I thought is was when you had your thumb up to high the first time you shot a automatic!

that's what i thought! it's when you brain-f*** while firing a semi-auto two-handed and instead of putting your off hand under the butt for support, you grip the other wrist with your thumb over the the other thumb. this puts the off-hand thumb in the way of the recoiling slide. and yeah, i know this from experience, but luckily only got a nice pair of parallel cuts across my knuckle, not a broken thumb.

Dave London

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Good Luck TT
I had the de Quervains and I tried everything for about a year then finally had surgery, dont delay treatment

I had bad case of trigger thumb and the first thing the orthopedist tried was a steroid shot, burned like a ..... It didn't work for me (it will for some people) so he performed a release surgery, a couple weeks to heal and it's been fine ever since. Go see an ortho & hope your thumb is better soon :) CaroL

Southern Custom

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Steroid shots and laying off the bench worked for me about 10 years ago. I've never had a re occurrence. Mine was in the left wrist. As a jeweler, I used my hands for vices for years. After this, I made sure to pay attention to using a proper work holder when I could to keep the pressure off the left hand. I remember that it was no fun. All that popping back and forth in my wrist.

Bama

Elite Cafe Member
My mother just had surgery to correct this condition on the ring finger of her right hand. Out patient and took a couple of weeks to heal up but she is fine now.

Latest posts

Sponsors