Question: Trapezius Pain While Engraving

David Kahn

I use a GRS setup with a Leica microscope for engraving, and I find that when I work for more than a couple hours at a stretch, I get pain in my traps/shoulders, particularly the left/vise side. It's not debilitating, but it sure is annoying.

Anyone else have this issue or have suggestions for how to resolve it?

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
take a serious look at your posture. that's probably the cause. if you're seated in an even slight strain, you'll surely feel it after a session. you gotta be comfy and relaxed. if any muscle group is under strain, pain will be yer reward.

AllenClapp

Elite Cafe Member
If you did not do so in your original setup, first set your chair height to fit your body, then set the microscope height to be comfortable when you sit erect, and lastly bring the work up to the height required for a clearly focused view in the microscope. Obviously, this requires a ball vise stand with vertical adjustments. I had the same issue when I used to bend over my ball vise when it was on a table. No problems since getting an adjustable vise stand and setting everything to fit me. I have a couple of different chairs and occasionaly switch them to get a different feel and slightly readjust everything to fit.

CMSchneider

If you did not do so in your original setup, first set your chair height to fit your body, then set the microscope height to be comfortable when you sit erect, and lastly bring the work up to the height required for a clearly focused view in the microscope. Obviously, this requires a ball vise stand with vertical adjustments. I had the same issue when I used to bend over my ball vise when it was on a table. No problems since getting an adjustable vise stand and setting everything to fit me. I have a couple of different chairs and occasionaly switch them to get a different feel and slightly readjust everything to fit.
Mind sharing where you got the adjustable vise stand?

AllenClapp

Elite Cafe Member
Mind sharing where you got the adjustable vise stand?
www.grs.com. They are expensive, but they work well. I got the total package with the turntable on top. It has an adjustable piston in it similar to the type you find in adjustable-height office chairs. It can be less expensive to make your own with a screw jack, cut-off drill press stand, etc., but that takes time. I opted to save the time. I later added the pan under the turntable to help catch gold shards when I skived off excess inlay. It is quite heavy and very steady--NO vibration when working with a pneumatic handpiece.

DKanger

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Be aware that using a computer will add-to/complicate, or exacerbate the problem. as will sleeping on your right side on a firm mattress.

wild willie

some great advice from all ! i had the same problem and the only thing i might add is after u get everything adjusted , i just sit up in position for a few seconds, take a deep breath and get relaxed. i call it settling down. it really helps me.

Dani Girl

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I don't know if any of us would not experience pain from engraving. Does anyone get away with it?

I'm yet to find exercises that work (but I've been to physios and not done what they've said so...)

Does anyone have exercises they do that fixes engraving related pain? Want to share?

I struggle with finding a comfortable no-strain position to sit in to start with in the setting everything up in the right position process. My body is just tight and uncomfortable lately (not engraving related).

mdengraver

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Don't forget to take breaks about 15 minutes every hour so you don't lock up. Take hot baths to relax, take a walk, stay well hydrated. Invest in an inexpensive door arm pulley and use it everyday in all directions for flexibility and to strengthen surrounding arm and shoulder muscles. You need to maintain your range of motion, and relax those muscles, an armrest also helps. Make sure your lighting is good, don't want glare on the metal surface, make sure tools are sharpened properly, all these things matter. Very important to have a good transfer or drawing on the metal surface to reduce eye strain. If you can't draw them, you can't cut them! You need to know where you want your graver to go. All these things not done properly affect good posture, create muscle fatigue and tension. Don't forget to stretch.

Latest posts

Sponsors