Question: transfers

tdelewis

Elite Cafe Member
I have started using the dammar varnish and lighterfluid mix with baking parchment and my HP cm4 printer. The transfers are excellent but they are not very durable. If you brush your finger over them they are gone. I tried a fixative but it seems to chip off as well. Does any one have any suggestions or should I just go back to acetone?

Willem Parel

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I use hairspray as a fixative after transferring and it works well during the first days, the longer you wait the more it chips.

Mike Fennell

Elite Cafe Member
I try to use the Mike Dubber method of keeping my sweaty hands off the work and only let the graver tip touch it. It looks to be a lifelong struggle, but I am getting better at it. Fixative isn't much help on a chapstick transfer or a pencil line on clay film.

Donny

Elite Cafe Member
I used the parchment method when I was taking lesson early on but then I tried the Tom White solutions and haven't turned back. I use a cheap HP deskjet 1000.

I would try using a little less lighterfluid and work towards a more solid "tackyness" then a fixative very lightly...

Donny

rod

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I am with Donny, on this,

I have both a laserjet printer, and the very inexpensive HP deskjet1000, which is printing onto Pictorico transparencies transfering with Tom's white magic mix. Both printers work well, however the Deskjet1000 is now printing well and the transfer is very tenacious. It is not a huge investment to try the Deskjet1000, it costs $28 including the ink cartridges and prints with higher resolution than the lasetjet. Remove the colour cartidge, it prints happily with the black cartridge alone, and is more successful than three other inkjet printer makes I have used in the past.

Rod

Idaho Flint

Elite Cafe Member
I have found that if you use the spray made for drawing to set the pencil drawing on paper as a fixative that it works very well. You can find a spray in the art supply stores. A very light spray across the piece I am transferring to will hold the transfer until I want to remove it...

Latest posts

Sponsors