Traditional engraving on a non traditional firearm canvas

GTJC460

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
This project has been in the works over the last 8 months. The client contacted me wanting his Kimber 1911 engraved...however, the catch was the gun is coated in Titanium Nitride. I approached the project with extreme caution as I wasn't sure whether it would even be possible. The customer sent me the barrel bushing and I did some test engraving on the inside to determine whether I could actually engrave through the coating or whether it would peel during engraving. It did not, and the engraving was no problem, so I gave the customer the go ahead on the project. After which, It took some time for me to fit it into my schedule.

For those unaware of what TiN is, its a coating that's applied to many types of tooling to help prolong the cutting edge of the tools. Its found on many drill bits, end mill, router bits, and a variety of other cutting, drilling and milling tools. Magnum Research (Desert Eagle) also uses it to coat many of their firearms to give them a "golden" color.

The customer requested a pretty full coverage of engraving on the open surfaces of the gun. So I worked out my design. As usual, I drew my designs directly on the firearm. In addition, I set a 0.27ct fancy yellow (color enhanced) diamond in the stainless steel mag release button.

10156147_1657441761139371_3895151401372206696_n.jpg 10460492_1657441767806037_3956072131397172734_n.jpg 11045467_1657441794472701_3230645931226607986_n.jpg

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
nice work, but a crazy looking gun. not a criticism, but why not blacken the engraving ? i'd think it would have a much more bold look to the work. what graver/s did you use to cut this ? are the grips spalted ? sure looks like spalted. thanks for showing.

GTJC460

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Monk...I used one of the "super" carbides and my own custom geometry based off a 120' graver.

The grips appear to be spalted tamarind but I can't answer that for certain. The client supplied the gun with its finish, grips, etc... I did not blacken the engraving as he wanted the 2 color look. I agree that black in the cuts would give more contrast. I believe the customer want a "jewelry" look to the firearm, hence no black

Toad

Elite Cafe Member
Bert, can you give more detail on the carbide and the geometry for the engravers that you used?

gcleaker

Elite Cafe Member
It is a sure bet that beauty is in the eye of the beholder? Great job on the engraving and I think that with the blackening I might have even carried it back in the day.
don't drink and drive you might spill your drink

Ron Spokovich

Elite Cafe Member
The TiN coating referred to is Titanium Nitride, one of several coating types used to lengthen the life of carbide cutting tools. I used such coatings in my shop. I'm surprised that you cut through it without trouble, but don't know the process used to coat the gun, and it may differ from the carbide tooling coatings. But, on carbide tools is a different matter. The process used may have variations. There is a similar coating, called AlTiN (I think) that is a gun metal grey color, and it is a bit harder and since it's grey, this may have appeal to the gunmaker crowd. I wonder if anyone has cut that coating, assuming it has been used on guns?

GTJC460

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
The TiN coating referred to is Titanium Nitride, one of several coating types used to lengthen the life of carbide cutting tools. I used such coatings in my shop. I'm surprised that you cut through it without trouble, but don't know the process used to coat the gun, and it may differ from the carbide tooling coatings. But, on carbide tools is a different matter. The process used may have variations. There is a similar coating, called AlTiN (I think) that is a gun metal grey color, and it is a bit harder and since it's grey, this may have appeal to the gunmaker crowd. I wonder if anyone has cut that coating, assuming it has been used on guns?

Yes. I was well aware of what it was. Having a significant background with machining I knew exactly what I dealing with. I was extremely cautious taking on the job. If there was any hesitation or lack of confidence in producing a professional result I would have turned it down. I wouldn't suggest this for a newb, someone with poor graver control, or lack of confidence in their ability.

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
Monk...I used one of the "super" carbides and my own custom geometry based off a 120' graver.

The grips appear to be spalted tamarind but I can't answer that for certain. The client supplied the gun with its finish, grips, etc... I did not blacken the engraving as he wanted the 2 color look. I agree that black in the cuts would give more contrast. I believe the customer want a "jewelry" look to the firearm, hence no black

yeah, bert. i kind of figured the client wanted the silver to show. most , i think, would want blackened design there. for sure, it is one-of-a-kind. thanks for the info