Question: Tools for the new guy

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
this set may serve well for detail work. if you do this work as i do it,lots & lots of metal is removed to achieve a sculpted effect. the illusion of depth can be obtained with this set, but for heavy background removal, lots of energy or muscle is required. at the very least, i'd advise hammer & chisel or a quality rotary tool for the bull work. finish off detailing with the gravers. i'd advise practicing on junked parts before attempting the real deal.

diandwill

Elite Cafe Member
I have a set of those gravers! They are beautiful. I actually used one for a few minutes last week. The only time I have a use is when I need the deep offset or bend to get into tight places. I was just deciding whether or not to cut them in half so I can use them with the quickchange GraverMax I have. I might actually use them then.
My advice would be, take a lesson or two, try out some of the different systems available, then make an educated choice. It will cost more money up front, but the learning curve will be WAYYY shorter, and your tool expenditure will go to tools that do what you want.
There are courses at GRS, Chris DeCamillas offers teaching on-line, in the Lindsay Forum there are several schools for engravers, C.J (I think) teaches, or sponsors a course on Bike engraving. There are many engravers around, and most have no problem having you came by and chat, try the tools etc. Hammer and Chisel is also a good way to get started, especially on big items like you intend.
You will need a sharpening fixture, to be able to consistently duplicate the proper cutting angles, over and over, with a minimum of fuss.
That's why the first step should be NOT buying tools, but researching so when you spend your money you end up with more than dust catchers!

silverchip

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
If all you wanted to do is engrave letters by hand on watches ,inside rings ect,these are designed for this traditional work and if you took the time to learn to use these it would be a great hobby but if you want to do more than that,better think in a little more modern style of tooling!!!!

Latest posts

Sponsors