Tool - What is it?

RoycroftRon

Elite Cafe Member
I was given a bunch of old engraving tools (it was a good day!) that an antique guy had in his attic for 25years and they had been with the previous owner for way more than that. Well within the grosses of gravers, and hundreds of little chasing tools and chisels there were three of these odd tools. One is mounted like a file/chisel and they all have a tang. The end is not sharp, and appears to be quite smooth almost burnished to a polish. I thought they might be a scraper of some sort, but there is not a bur on the edge.

Any idea what these are? One pic is all three, the other is a close-up of the end(s) The little handle is about an inch and a half at most.

Attachments

• tool3.jpg
    tool3.jpg
    59.7 KB · Views: 295
  • tool2.jpg
    tool2.jpg
    36 KB · Views: 225
Last edited:

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
could possibly be a tool used by wood turners to burnish and smooth wood whilst turning at high speed.was probably used with wax. for some jobs a better and cheaper alternative to abrasives.

beegee

Elite Cafe Member
Might be a tool in the making. My great-grandfather was a pattern-maker for the railroad yards and I inherited a bunch of his tools. Many were made from old files:knives, chisels, scrapers. You could still see the file tooth-marks in some of them.

Powderhorn

Elite Cafe Member
Ron;
Back in the day, I used to use something like that for breaking flashing on spot welds (not its proper use), and to set seams in thin copper sheet. The other thing that could be used for, is to pack okum in joints on small water craft.

cwbyengraver

the tool is a hand scraper used by machinest to scrap steel or machine beds to dead flat. it is tool steel that should almost be glass hard. I have used one you would be amaed how fast it works

jimzim75

Elite Cafe Member
That would mean you could make it into a flower walker unless your going to scrape down lathe beds.

Jim

Latest posts

Sponsors