Tool thoughts please...

Donny

Elite Cafe Member
Hello all,
First off I'm looking to buy a Drawplate for gold and silver...found this at Otto Frei...Tungsten Carbide Round Drawplate 0.26mm to 2.80mm 39 Holes. Is this one any good or would you recommend a different one?

Secondly I have been using sharpening stones for my gravers and was wondering about moving up to a Powered Hone. Do you feel the Hone is worth the cost verses the time you actually save? I used one at the GRS class I attended but brought many of my own gravers pre done so it was only used for touch up and when Rex was showing us how to grind a 120. Anyone use Tom Whites hone?

Donny

diandwill

Elite Cafe Member
The draw plate should work fine, and with a little care, last for many years.
I have a GRS hone, but also bought a Tom Whites variable speed hone when I started using carbide more than HS steel. The Whites hone can rough in a carbide blank in 5-10 minutes, and can touch up a point in seconds. I use it more than the GRS, but have my ceramic on the GRS. The mandrel on the White hone is smaller, or something, the ceramic doesn't seem to work.

Andrew Biggs

Yes, a power hone is worth every cent.........depending on what you want to do or how you sharpen.

It's great for a multitude of tasks........... including sharpening. :)

The Gator wheel on the GRS power hone rips through metal when you are shaping your gravers.

Cheers
Andrew

Andrew Biggs

I'm not sure what the tech specs are. It's probably on the GRS web site.

All I know is that it removes metal fast from gravers when you are shaping the bellies etc. A great piece of kit to have.

Cheers
Andrew

Brian Marshall

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Stockton, California & Taxco, Guerrero, Mexico
All of the diamond discs used for our modern day graver sharpening originated from the lapidary trade.

They were designed to grind stone and do it wet - not dry. They were never really intended for the use we put them to.

The "Gator" was intended to pre-form stone "blanks" for faceting or cabbing...

Numerous engravers with a silversmithing/goldsmithing/jewelry background use older faceting machines for graver sharpening purposes.

And then there are the DIY guys who use gear motors, old phonographs and electric can openers for the power part - and simply buy the masters and top laps from a lapidary supply.

Brian

The modern day fixtures & jigs used for holding gravers at an angle to be sharpened - ALL derived from the lapidary trade...

Last edited:

James Roettger

Elite Cafe Member
I usually find most tools will pay for themselves if you are busy, especially something like a power hone. I find that power engraving and power hones go hand in hand. When I was hand pushing I actually liked the tips I got hand sharpening and when I went pneumatic graver the power hone was the ultimate compliment.

Peter E

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
A drawplate is something that was discussed previously and the consensus was to buy the best quality you can afford.

The one you mentioned from Otto Frei is their "value line". The "premium" line cost about twice as much, but if it is a one time purchase (hopefully) it is a better choice.

golden forge

Elite Cafe Member
I think one of the draw plates that I have is the same Otto Frei plate you are talking about with the carbide inserts, and so far mine has lasted about 10-12 years and still draws true.