Tiny little cold chisel

scott99

Elite Cafe Member
Hi, in the past few weeks I have been asking for help with the cutting of sharp corners in a scroll, I have recieved many different answers to the problem and am thankfull for them all. :tiphat:

I will add one I just figured out (everybody might do this already).:thinking:

Gravers are TOO BRITTLE for this tool so I made it from a piece of .093 drill rod.

First I annealed the rod to remove the temper and hardness in it already. Then using a power hone I cut 2 flats 180 degrees apart at 10 degrees untill I had formed a chisel shape. Then I put 2 very short 45 degree angles at the very tip of the tool, and narrowed it to .050. Just think cold chisel but .050 wide.

After shaping I rehardened the tool. Now here is the part that makes it work.When I tempered the tool I took it past straw color past purple to just the start of LIGHT BLUE and quenched it in water. This left the tool durable enough to be used just like a standard cold chisel.

I ended up with a tool just hard enough to cut straight down into these corners, a few light taps on each side of the corner STRAIGHT DOWN,and the metal in the corner is pushed away from the sides to be easily removed with a small flat graver.

I hope somebody trys this one, it works fast and is very controlable.:happyvise:

The whole thing works because I made the tool less hard than a graver (tougher) so it does not just chip away the second you tap on it.

scott99 :tiphat:

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
very interesting post. not sure i'd need this, but some may give it a whack.

Latest posts

Sponsors