Time to try a bent graver

thughes

:::Pledge Member:::
::::Pledge Member::::
Hi all,
These are scope rings for my benchrest rifle. The three flats I've done were easy but those next ones to either side would be another matter because that flange with the screws is in the way. I know it's time to try to use a bent graver, but I've never tried to make one or sharpen one, much less use one. The bend would have to be pretty close to the point I guess because those flats are only about 3/8" wide, so you can tell it's pretty tight. Any tips would be greatly appreciated.

Also, last night I got to thinking about the "inspiration" debate. I knew that little design I put on there came to my mind from somewhere. So I looked through my books and found one very similar, inlayed in gold on the cylinder of a revolver, by Kornbrath I think. While I didn't sit down and copy it from that photo (and no one is gonna mistake my engraving for Kornbrath) it's obvious to me that's where the basic idea came from. But I've sat down with a glass of bourbon and studied "Steel Canvas" with a magnifying glass probably dozens of times. How do you keep from being influenced by what you study? Is that too close?

Attachments

• Engravind stuff 2013 005.jpg
    Engravind stuff 2013 005.jpg
    101.2 KB · Views: 246

Roger Bleile

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
"How do you keep from being influenced by what you study? Is that too close?"

In my opinion it's not too close and every artist is influenced by the things they study or see around them. I like your design and think it looks good on the rings. On the flats with the hand obstruction, you don't have to use a bent graver if you cut in both directions or use a different design, like a Nimschke star.

I don't know how the idea got started that every gun engraver has to be an "artist" creating totally unique designs to be legitimate but historically most gun engravers were skilled craftsmen who copied the traditional designs of the masters who trained them. Take a good look at guns engraved in pre-WWII Suhl, London, Birmingham, Liege, or Hartford and you will see that most were engraved to a pattern. An example are the Colt A, B, C, and D coverage guns. While not artistically unique, they are treasured by their owners and pleasing to look at.

I obviously appreciate the work of engraving artists (they are the people featured in my recent book) but I also appreciate well executed engraving using traditional designs. Far too often I see odd and unatractive designs engraved by those trying to be different from anything done before. I would by far rather own a gun with well executed engraving using the Dubber/Showe patterns that one with some of the weird and ungainly designs I have encountered over the years.

RB

diandwill

Elite Cafe Member
I too have had need to have 'bent' engravers. What I have done is the opposite, to some extent. I have relieved the belly of the graver from the QCH, leaving only the 1/4" tip to be sharpened. It may not be enough for you, but that what I do. The Glensteel gravers are not that expensive, and with a little care will last a long time. When you finally sharpen away the last, you have a small diameter that can be made into a flat or a point, whatever.

Dave London

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Yep cut both directions , thanks Roger finally some one said it, you can cut what you can not draw or do not enjoy drawing( my case) I have been useing the Dubber / Schowe transfers and learning a lot about what scroll should look like, still plugging along. Having fun putting chips on the floor:happyvise:

Andrew Biggs

As the above said, cut from both directions. It's a pain but simple enough. Also, keep the tip of your graver small. Grind all the excess metal away so it doesn't get in your way.

An alternative to a bent graver is to raise the heel angle considerably. I've successfully used up to 35 degrees. This works well for some concave areas but not all.

The design is simple, elegant, well executed and looks just fine. Plus it is fairly generic in nature. I don't think you need worry about being accused of plagiarism :)

Cheers
Andrew

monk

Staff member
well it seems we are all guilty-- the chambered nautilis did one of the very first. we all just came along and added our own special "touches" after the "chambered one".i personally don't use any of the commercially available template sets some of the engravers sell. when i do a basic drawing i find favor with, i either make a master for my pantograph, or create them in thin guage plastic using my laser. jm2cw

thughes

:::Pledge Member:::
Thanks for you thoughts guys. I'll try coming at it from both ends. Feel kinda dumb for not thinking of that :). I'll remove as much mass from the graver as I can as well.

Todd

BrianPowley

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I'm with Roger...Scrolls go to the "left" and scrolls go to the "right". Sometimes they intertwine and are just stylized versions of a living plant. I think where you would be crossing the line is to copy another engravers work and try to pass it off as authentic.
FWIW----Kornbrath would probably be flattered.

Latest posts

Sponsors