Help, please: tight inside corners

scott99

Elite Cafe Member
Hi, I always have some trouble when I am removing background from the last inside end point of a scroll. Of course the smaller it is the more trouble I have getting that last cut. Is it time to get out the scrapers for that last tiny lump in the tight corner, or am I just missing something everybody already knows?

It would seem I am missing the boat someplace as I see many examples of tiny clean cut corners on this site.

Thanks

scott99:thinking: :confused: :eek:

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Ed Westerly

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
There are several ways to do this. you can use a square graver to make tiny lines into the corner, :thumbsup: you can tip a small flat on its edge and cut from both directions (one at a time, of course!!!:thinking:), you can barge into the corner slightly with a flat and undercut into the scroll work and then come back after stippling and clean the corner up with a flat or square.:shock: You could even beat the crap out of the corner with the stippling tool until the excess metal gives up the ghost and leaves the area!:eek: The real key is to choose a method and practice it until you could almost do it in your sleep. Then you will have clean, tiny corners. :cool:

Hope this helps.

Last edited:

Scottyd

Scott99,
I'm just a rookie so take this with a grain of salt.
For those tiny corners I use a carbide 30 degree V. I either get it stuck or break off the tip half the time trying to lever the chip out. I have to take really small "bites" I usually work with silver or coins. I need to try making a knife using the flat template to make something a little thinner than the 30 degree V. But its going to have to be fairly tall to have any strength. Maybe a thin onglette would work as it might be a little stronger - sigh, looks like I need another template.
I'd also be interested in any suggestions.

Inside curves give me a lot of problems too,
Scottyd