Ti wedding rings, soft nick and round plus 7 diamonds

Arnaud Van Tilburgh

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Another pair I finished recently. Shiny borders, nick and round border and 7 diamond. I set the stones the way I can add stones till it is 360° round. That is what the customer wants, but not for now because of their budget.
Anyway, I like these pair too, I sure I like the reflection in the photo showing the backside of the lady ring.
And of course the high beads on the stone settting.

arnaud

Arnaud Van Tilburgh

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I probably will have everyone to sent an e mail I sent today like I send one at Sam's address to have some attention. LOL

arnaud

Willem Parel

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
All I can say Arnaud, all is done more then 100 percent, the texture, the settings, the side of the lady's ring, I can't find anything to point on....;)

Arnaud Van Tilburgh

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Mario, feel free to write your thoughts here. Thing is that when I push the critique request button, sometimes people think I'm joking.

arnaud

Mario Sarto

Elite Cafe Member
Hello Arnaud!
I've marked some things in different colors (see picture below).
Blue: You've hit the borders several times with the tool. More attention on this. As you wrote before, you have a new setup (the new EN-Set). Perhaps it needs some more practice with it, doesn't it? But back to the borders - do you use a non-polished graver? It is a personal choice - i know - but to me most of the time a highly reflective cut looks even nicer when setting stones in white material.

Green: If i remember correctly you use the grade one Titanium? To give it a good polish it takes the same steps it needs to polish Platinum. That means starting with sandpaper, e.g. 280 and then go finer and finer up to 1,200. Then polish with a Nickeloxide-compound. At last you can use a leather with Diamantine (don't know the English word for that). If you use a motor for polishing, don't push to hard as the material tends to schmear. It's extensive time consuming to do it.

Yellow: Like blue you hit the border. Had the same issue on this ;) only recutting the border helped me.

Conclusion: I think you have done a good job on this. I really like the 'nick-border', looks very consistent. The seats of the stones looks good also!

Best to you!
Mario

Attachments

• arnaud-ring.jpg
    arnaud-ring.jpg
    58.3 KB · Views: 166

Arnaud Van Tilburgh

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Thanks Mario, you are correct and sure I appreciate your comments, as I know you can do better than I. But I have some remarks on your critique, one is that the structure of Ti doesn't allow bright cut, sure my graver is Hi Polished, but in a way the structure of Ti isn't that compressed, it is a bit like "speculoos".
On the other hand, as I show the image real big, there will always be imperfection when magnification is overdone. I know we goldsmith look at all things that way.
Anyway, real appreciated your comment, and sure I will pay attention on that next time.

arnaud

Willem Parel

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
As you notice Arnaud, my comment is for what its worth.... I didn't see what Mario (correctly) sees.
I need other glasses I think....;)

Arnaud Van Tilburgh

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Anyway, customers were very pleased with the result and trade them this afternoon offering 11 chickens, I accepted.

arnaud

Arnaud Van Tilburgh

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Well dead or alive, I don't care as I trade them again for gold.
So Mario sure found some imperfections, but sure I could too on every ones work, as perfect is impossible and stupid. At least my customers like to see "my hand " in it.
I don't make jewellery for museums, where you are not even allowed to put a shown ring on your finger, mu idea is that jewellery is only jewellery when it is worn.
then comes the "patin" that makes history to a jewel.
So jewels are not about perfection, sure they have to be precious made, but people have to wear them, otherwise it aren't jewels.

And we have to make a living, at least I have to, so the extra 15 percent will take to much time for the budget of my customers.

And no matter what, these wedding ring are perfectly made by hand.

arnaud

Last edited:

Mario Sarto

Elite Cafe Member
Well, I am crestfallen about your answer and I see, I only waste my time with this.
Now i understand why people think you are joking when you hit the 'critique button'. It simply make no sense to answer as there is no room left after those blank statements.
I know this by now and it is ok to me.

Arnaud Van Tilburgh

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Mario, thing is that as you said yourself, “I didn’t push the critique request button.
And it was you who proposed to share your thoughts on my work, I just said feel free to do so. And indeed when looking with that much magnification, and you even made the magnification bigger, there are imperfections one can see, so did I

That doesn’t mean I’m not proud on this job. And the point I make is that all work when looking at it with the most magnification, one will see imperfections and I can do that too.

Even when I would show the nick and round border that big, you would see imperfections, same on the stone setting an even the diamonds are not perfect!

So yes I agree it wasn’t perfect, but more than good enough, as 100% perfection isn’t reachable.

arnaud

Last edited:

mrthe

nice rings! all the way i think that if we look at great magnification our works we can find little errors in every work, i think that is normal and maybe we need it in other way we are machines and not humans!
All the way i think is good too have fellows that show to us where and how we can improve

Latest posts

Sponsors