Thursdays practice, something different.

Ed Westerly

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I would suggest that you will get a better looking result if you bring your scroll work closer to the edges. What you have here has unbalanced negative space to my eye.

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
I think the basic shape has potential, and as Bruce said, not having so much negative space would certainly help. Overall I would say that it's on the rough side. Not sure how you did the detailing in the leaves, but I don't think it's working very well.

golden forge

Elite Cafe Member
Ed, I agree with you, hind sight is 20-20, thanks for your advise,
Sam, thanks for the review, I kinda did it on the fly to see how it would work, I guess it didn't. I suppose thats why they call it practice.
Thanks again.

g.rohrbaugh

Elite Cafe Member
I agree with the balance of your scroll to the workpiece. As far as the shading check out Sam's videos, they will show you a lot. Keep at it.

Gary

Andrew Biggs

Your problem with the shading is that you have done it in a more realistic way with the veins of the leaves. This has the effect of disrupting the dynamic flow of everything.

Keep in mind that this type if thing is very stylistic. So therefore the shading is meant to flow with the scroll.

Having said that you have also done a few things that look right. Your cutting of the backbone of the scroll seems to be well done with no obvious humps or bumps.

Cheers
Andrew

golden forge

Elite Cafe Member
Gary, thanks I'll watch Sam's videos.

Andrew, thank you for your input and advice.
As someone who is still learning the basic ins and outs of the art form, the constructive criticism and advise from knowledgable people is what will keep me learning and advancing in skill.
Thanks again.

Andrew Biggs

As someone who is still learning the basic ins and outs of the art form, the constructive criticism and advise from knowledgable people is what will keep me learning and advancing in skill.

Hey, we get to teach you all our bad habits :)

Much better. Just keep cutting, observing and drawing and you'll be fine. Like all good things it takes a while to learn these skills and wrap your head around the design process.

Cheers
Andrew

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
i find no fault with the amount of background. i would have centered it a bit more to achieve a better visual balance.

golden forge

Elite Cafe Member
Thanks all, more drawing, cutting, and learning for me to do.
Thanks again for all the advice, oh and Andrew's new to me " bad habits". :biggrin: