this weeks stamp

oiseau metal arts

Elite Cafe Member
Here is one for a local knife maker who lets me use his shop from time to time when i dont feel like cutting out large pieces of steel with a jewelers saw. The shape of the knife is the kind he makes, and the letters are the way he writes them. Usually he would H&C a "JY" to sign his work, but was wanting something with his whole name. Its cut out of 1/4" thick O-1. With it being so big we got the best results in by heating the steel first then stampping it.

While cutting this i got a few more fun ideas for miniture knives i wish i had time to play with.

(I got a little off in my proof striking so the blade end is a bit heavy)

0815121304.jpg
0815120440.jpg

rod

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Hello, oma,

Nice!

Have you given any though to making your stamps the way the ancient Romans and others made their coins... rather than carving the raised embossed letters, instead engrave them in carbon steel, harden and temper the engraved design, then strike it into a separate piece of unhardened steel to produce the mating form which will be embossed, or raised, after hardening and tempering harden this becomes your final stamp?

Rod

oiseau metal arts

Elite Cafe Member
rod..... its easier for what lack of equipment i have at the moment to do this way. i only have a 3lb mini sledge hammer and pair of vise grips. from what i understand id need a 25-50 ton press to make stamps that way. also im only making single stamps not doing multiples of each stamp.

i have thought of building (with help of local mrtal sculptor) a press for setting up at music festivals and fairs and such where i can make a new set of dies each year and punch out a coin in copper, brass or silver on the spot with a loud slam of steel on steel to attract attention of everyone.

this is still just a toy on my "to do list" somewhere about page 30 or so.

however i do love learing about how things were made back in the days before CAD, CNC, EDM, and Electricity.

silverchip

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Years ago I went to a Ren fair.There was a guy that made himself a drop hammer that was portable.He made his own coining dies and struck coins from silver and copper.The press was very simple but effective, the dies were set up in a sleeve to keep them lined up.It was basically a piece of pipe with a 2" thick plate welded to the face and filled with lead for weight in a set of rails to guide it.The anvil was a stump and as long as the die set was in the target area, he got a coin struck every time he lifted it and pulled the pin attaching the weight to the boat winch that picked up the ram. Very simple and KOOL.I remember him yelling out "STRIKING" each time he mad a coin for a customer and that made everybody look to see what was happening.CA-CHING.

Latest posts

Sponsors