This one's for Andrew.

Doc Mark

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Sorry Mate,

The "Auld Mug" stays in America for a while longer. You Kiwis put up a hell of a fight. Even a self-professed "Oracle" (pun intended) couldn't have predicted this past week's come-back. I can't say too much about National Pride with this victory. Seeing as there was only ONE American on the American team! But I know the Kiwis will be back next series.

See you in Vegas!

Cheers,

Doc

Andrew Biggs

Hey Doc........wasn't it exciting racing. Man, those boats could fly!!! Mary and I were addicted to both the Louis Vitton and Americas cup. We are glad it is finally all over. It's been absolutely exhausting and nail biting every step of the way.

You have to give it to Jimmy Spithill and team Oracle. They were just too good in the end and fought back from 8 - 1 magnificently. All credit to them Larry Ellison and Russell Coutts, they pulled off what is certainly one of the greatest sports achievements of all time. Spithall never gave up even though the odds were stacked against him.

Naturally we were gutted but still really proud of Dean Barker and the Team New Zealand guys. What an achievement in administration, boat design and racing with nowhere near the funding of Oracle. They did us proud!!!!

The really good part is that hopefully we get to do it all again in 4 years time.......Woohooo!!! :)

Cheers
Andrew

take-down

Elite Cafe Member
The interesting thing is that when Oracle started they were a bit sluggesh so Russell Coutts got 9 designers from NZ to fly over to sort it out I think it was 6 of those were Team NZ designers
Just goes to show the on water racing is just a public spectical for what is a very commercial event. A lot of money is generated, deals signed & the economic spin offs are in the billions
But an inceadible event in the advancment of sailing.
I sit there at times thinking if only sailors like Sir francis Drake, Colombus and the like could see this, they would curse thier square riggers and average speed or around 4 knots
Cheers

Crazy Horse

Elite Cafe Member
It's sad to see the classic, sleek, sloop style boats pass into history. Now there was a class act!

Doc Mark

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Yes, I too was "brought up" on the 12 meter yachts. I thought they were the epitome of style. That is until I saw the photos of the magnificent J-Class sloops. Now there was class! But technology eventually wins out in any form of racing. The "J"s had to become extinct due to their enormous cost and the War. The 12's were replaced with the America's Cup Class. And now, these boats that "fly" over the water at speeds so incredible that anyone who has sailed before, can only stare in slack-jawed disbelief. These boats have their own fierce beauty! These are the weapons of the video game generations. We may decry the loss of the elegance of the sloops and the loss of the true "amateur" sailors but we can't deny the excitement these 72 ft. speed demons generate. And, if it brings more youngsters to the joy of sailing, then "Good on ya Mate".

Latest posts

Sponsors