Question: Thermo Loc Vs Setters Cement

dlilazteca

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Ive been reading yes, using the search function, I see people use either thermo lock or setters cement. What are the pros and cons of each. And how is each used/heated.

which one do you remomend and where can I get the most for the buck

thanks again

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
i've found no negatives with thermo-loc. don't know about the other. hot melt glue can be valuable as well. releases quickly with isopropyl alcohol.

GTJC460

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I was using shellac on wood blocks for the longest time. It works great but is a pita to remove.

As a honeydo job, my wife assigned me to do some paint stripping and painting. I bought one of those heat guns at Home Depot to help with the job.

Then I had an ah ha moment and repurposed the heat gun for working with thermolock. I had a few pieces laying around soni gave it a whirl. It works great! Since then I bought a big pack of the stuff and now use it all the time. I keep the heat gun right there on my bench hanging from a nail so it's always at hand.

Being a jeweler I find all kinds of uses for the stuff. I make fixtures, handles , even used it to make a dapping form.

dlilazteca

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I was using shellac on wood blocks for the longest time. It works great but is a pita to remove.

As a honeydo job, my wife assigned me to do some paint stripping and painting. I bought one of those heat guns at Home Depot to help with the job.

Then I had an ah ha moment and repurposed the heat gun for working with thermolock. I had a few pieces laying around soni gave it a whirl. It works great! Since then I bought a big pack of the stuff and now use it all the time. I keep the heat gun right there on my bench hanging from a nail so it's always at hand.

Being a jeweler I find all kinds of uses for the stuff. I make fixtures, handles , even used it to make a dapping form.

Thank you for taking your time to respond what do you use to hold your thermal lock on your vise. Could you post some pictures and what you use to make it.

Carlos De La O III

Latest posts

Sponsors