The Sheetz Rifle Project

Bama

Elite Cafe Member
Last year I was contacted by my friend and fellow rifle builder Darrin McDonal to see if I would be interested in helping him build a rifle for the Contemporary Longrifle Association. I said sure as I had been wanting to participate in a CLA project for some time. Then he told me that we would be making a documentary copy of a rifle built by John Jacob Sheetz and used by William Ross at the Battle of New Orleans. Not only that but then I find out that this is the only known Kentucky rifle that can be documented as being used at the actual battle. Man what a treat.

It is not everyday that you get to make a documentary copy of an item that was used in the making of our great nation. Needless to say that I was very honored.

This rifle will be auctioned off at the CLA convention in Lexington, Ky this coming August. For into about the auction see the CLA web site.

Darrin and I both worked on all aspects of this rifle but I made and engraved the patch box and cheek inlay which were the only parts engraved on the original rifle.

This rifle was featured in Last months issue of Muzzle Blast and will be in the June issue of the American Rifleman. It will also be featured in the upcoming American Tradition and Muzzeloader magizines.

I practiced the inscription on the patch box lid for about 5 months before I cut the final product. I went and visited with Sam for 3 days to get help from a Master so I would be sure to cut it correctly. Sam I hope you think it turned out well.

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
yummy looking rifle. i love the look of the old guns. to me they're far more attractive than any of the modern guns.

Southern Custom

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Wonderful job Jim. I hope you'll be there in August. I also just completed a project for the auction, a collaboration on a documentary job with maker Bob Browner of a pistol by Phillip Creamer that belonged to Andrew Jackson. The article should be out in the next Muzzleblast. I'll most definitely look for yours. Look forward to meeting you. And great job on that patchbox. Just finished my first rifle as an apprentice and it makes me want to add one to my gun.

Bama

Elite Cafe Member
Thanks, Darrin and I have really been under the gun so to speak to meet the deadline to have the rifle finished. I think that it turned out pretty well and I hope that it is well recieved at the CLA convention. That is a great pistol, I heard you guys were going to build it and I will look forward to seeing it in August as well as meeting you and Bob. See you there.

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
Totally outstanding! What a honor it must be to recreate such an important historical weapon. Congratulations on the excellent lettering as well!