Thanks icon

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
I've changed it to a LIKE button only. One of the reasons is because if someone posts something that merits a thanks, I would prefer members to type it instead as it's more personal. What do you think?

Arnaud Van Tilburgh

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Sam, what I do know is that the Facebook "like button" is copyright by Facebook. It was on television a few weeks ago.
The new one on the Café is quite similar, so at first when I saw the new one, I thought it had something to do with Facebook, like putting it on your Facebook page.

arnaud

Sam

Staff member
Sam, what I do know is that the Facebook "like button" is copyright by Facebook. It was on television a few weeks ago.
The new one on the Café is quite similar, so at first when I saw the new one, I thought it had something to do with Facebook, like putting it on your Facebook page.

arnaud

I should probably change it then, Arnaud.

Arnaud Van Tilburgh

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I forgot to tell about the Facebook like button, as the TV program was about how world wide that icon is known as part of facebook. They interviewed the Chinese woman who designed it.

arnaud

Sam

Staff member
There we go. That should be different enough. Red looks kind of nice and won't make people think that there's a connection to Facebook.

mrthe

a new icon with a hand up graver? Xd
Persinally i preferre this way, only a button, like and thanks are similar things only extra work for the data base

Sam

Staff member
I'm a fan of the written sentiment. If you appreciate some work, a post, or have something positive to say - do it in writing.

There are days when you're short post saying 'thank you' or 'nice job' can be the little uplift that a person needs in an otherwise very impersonal world.

Don't get me wrong - I'm not too old and I'm very digital - but the interaction you offer in the form of a true accolade or compliment cannot be replaced with an icon. At least not for me. I'm with Sam on this one - say it in writing.
sd.

Well said. I certainly don't want the LIKE button to replace a post. I think it does serve a purpose though. As for the THANKS button, typing "thank you" doesn't take very long. I don't see that one coming back any time soon.

Eugene Carkoski

Elite Cafe Member
I liked the thanks because it is the appropriate thing to say to someone who has just shared information and how to ideas with you.
Like on the other hand is a personal feeling for your work your style etc.

DakotaDocMartin

:::Pledge Member:::
::::Pledge Member::::
a new icon with a hand up graver?

I would like that better also. The current thumbs up icon looks somewhat strange... like a bent mitten maybe? With Sam's outstanding graphics skills and the high quality the rest of the site has, it just looks out of place. Maybe it's just me. :)

Arnaud Van Tilburgh

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Perhaps a good idea to have a contest for a new like button. And the winner (chosen by a poll or our benevolent one ) will have his/here design on the forum.
The size must be 16px × 16px, correct me if I'm wrong Sam

arnaud

Latest posts

Sponsors