Suggestions for an affordable watch worth engraving

Travis Fry

I'm relatively new at this, but coming along quite well. Call me an advanced beginner, or maybe simply intermediate. I'd kinda like to engrave a watch, but I'm at the stage where it would behoove me to not make my first attempt on an expensive one. There's a 99.75% chance I'd keep and wear this myself (or give it away to a friend or family member), so resale is not an issue, nor is the whole "lipstick on a pig" argument. I have basic jewelry skills and am pretty clever with my hands, so assembly and disassembly is most likely (hopefully) not an issue. I'd like to do the face, as well as the band and case, and maybe even the back.

Can anyone suggest a watch I should start with that would engrave well? Maybe a stainless kit you've used? Links, if they're allowed, would be extra handy.

Thanks!

John B.

Lifetime Pledge Member
::::Pledge Member::::
Andrew Biggs, the editor of "The Engraver", has a lot of experience with engraving and engravable watches.
You might try contracting him and see if he can advise you.
Best of luck with your project and post pictures of it on the FEGA forum please.

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
There are numerous watch cases available on eBay. Take your pick. A popular one is an Explorer style case which is pretty beefy and has room for engraving. If you prefer one with a rotating bezel there are plenty of those as well, but the bezel should be removed prior to engraving.

Be prepared for some tough steel and awkward workholding. Nearly every watch case today is made of 316L stainless steel except for Rolex which uses 904. You might also consider a bronze case for ease of engraving and they develop an attractive patina over time.

I would suggest getting a case that fits ETA 2824 or 2836 movements. You can get an inexpensive clone or a genuine ETA movement and have a lifetime watch. There are lots of dial and hands available to fit ETA. If you prefer the Seiko look there are even more options. Tons of aftermarket cases, dials, hands, bezels, etc. Those cases typically take NH35 movements which are reliable and very inexpensive. They also make a GMT version but the model number escapes me.

EngraverHand

Elite Cafe Member
For your first one, try finding one that has pretty flat sides and as little curves as possible.. unless you’re up for a good challenge :)

Sometimes the curves up to the crown can be very tricky if the curves are sharp, and if the watch has curves in every direction you’re going to have a lot of fun :)

I’m far from an expert engraving watches but I have done a few.. I definitely prefer the stainless over the softer ones..

If you get a 2nd hand watch it’s loads of YouTube videos of how to remove parts..

Be prepared for a few hundred hours if it’s a full engraving so make sure it’s one worth keeping. :)

AllenClapp

Elite Cafe Member
Wes Griffin of the Texas Engraving School has online videos on watch engraving and occasionally teaches a class on it.

DaveatWeirs

Assembling it yourself is the way to go. If you want to do the case I'd recommend going for a bronze case from aliexpress and put on a thin layer of renaissance wax, I've gotten a few stainless steel ones where they're tough as all hell, Rolex are soft in comparison. Like cutting knifeblade steel. You might get lucky with a softer one.

There's plenty of cases to fit NH34 or NH35 movements which are relatively cheap but if you want to engrave the movement too Id recommend starting with a ETA 6497. They're bigger and based of an old pocket watch design but allow for all sorts of engraving, piercing out, and inlay. You can get a clone for about 35-50 quid or a real nice one for under 200. There's a few panerai watches that use them and you can get similar cases cheaply.

If you wanted a good quality automatic swiss movement then go for a ETA 2824, it's about the same size as the NH34 so there's plenty of available cases for them and they're what the likes of Tudor and Tissot use in their watches. A chinese clone will go for about 75 and a really good one from a swiss factory will be about 200-250

One thing to watch for with the NH movements is that they tend to be plated brass so when you cut them they'll be slightly softer than you expect and the cuts or scratches will be yellow. Even the middle section of the rotors seem to be plated brass.

Latest posts

Sponsors