Help, please: Storage container for acetone/acetone mix

dlilazteca

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Good morning guys I'm going to make about two different mixes of acetone and I was wondering what I could use a store that won't leak or won't let the fumes leak I'm about to go to Walmart and was wondering if anybody can give me some pointers thanks.

Carlos De La O III

Last edited:

Southtexas

Elite Cafe Member
bottle.jpg In the arts/crafts section of Walmart, they carry some small plastic bottles with screw on dispenser caps. The ones about 3-4" tall with a flip open cap come in bags of 6 or 8...
They hold acetone just fine. They don't leak if they are closed and fall on their side either. I use them for many chemicals and paints.
I added the label of course.

Last edited:

dlilazteca

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
SouthTexas

Thanks great for my naptha mix. Only a small amount.

But for my spar varnish mix I need something that will store at minimum a quart or more so I can dip my handguns in.

Guzzi

The link does not show a product.

Carlos De La O III

Southtexas

Elite Cafe Member
the bottom of the small bottle has the recycle symbol with a 4 in it, and LDPE marked beside that. Any container made of the same solvent safe plastic should work for you, check the bottom to see if it's marked the same. That is as far as not melting from the acetone. How tight the lid fits is a different story, you'll have to kinda guess at that.

Cliff

leo

Elite Cafe Member
ok when u go to walmart in the traveling section usually by the pharmacy they have a set of plastic flask for you to take a certain amount of liquid I think that would be enough for what your looking for just make sure you label them so you wont be confused and if you don't find them go to a beauty supply store they usually have them for about dollars and they come in 4,6,and 8 oz

Brian Marshall

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Stockton, California & Taxco, Guerrero, Mexico
Dunno about "dipping" your handguns in spar varnish...????

Mostly I only ever applied it to the area(s) I am working on. With a Qtip. Externally.

Getting the stuff inside the "works" - barrel, cylinder, firing pin hole, etc. - just doesn't sound right to me... or necessary.

Brian

FerrousOxide

Carlos,
It seems like you will be dipping the "parts" to be engraved, hanging from a wire, not the entire gun. And it's mostly acetone with a bit of spar varnish. I agree with Brian, dipping the entire gun in spar varnish would be.... well... a disaster. :)

my 2 cents

Good luck with the process.

Rob

dlilazteca

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Oh course not pure varnish, the mix, its only a small amount used to keep it from rusting.

Carlos De La O III

scott99

Elite Cafe Member
Hi, I would think you would have a gummy mess in the action and trigger pretty quick,even super thin it would migrate with use. I agree with Mr. Marshall on this one. Maybe you can check up with Sam on the tip? I notice it came from a knife forum, They of course have very few moving parts. :^)

scott99

Last edited:

dlilazteca

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Hi, I would think you would have a gummy mess in the action and trigger pretty quick,even super thin it would migrate with use. I agree with Mr. Marshall on this one. Maybe you can check up with Sam on the tip?

scott99

Agreed Sam some help here.. thanks

Carlos De La O III

Dave London

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
This is John B,s process and he does not post much anymore which is a great loss to the engraving community . He has forgot more than most will ever know. MTC

Brian Marshall

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Stockton, California & Taxco, Guerrero, Mexico
Ah... I was thinking you were doing this for transferring purposes - not protection for what is basically etching!

In THAT case then, yeah - some simple parts might be quicker to dip, but still - anything with little holes and unreachable crevices might be problematic???

Knife blades might be a good application for dipping to mask off an area.

A revolver or semi-auto frame being dipped in that particular mixture might NOT be?

B.

Last edited:

leschowe

Elite Cafe Member
Hi Carlos,
Here is what I use:
http://www.brownells.com/gunsmith-t...squeeze-bottles/squeeze-bottles-prod1198.aspx

I use this for Acetone, alcohol, and mineral spirits. I drill the very tiniest hole possible that I can into the top on the lid, to act as a pressure vent, in order to relieve pressure caused by variations in temperature. If you do not do this there will be situations where the liquid inside the bottle will run out of the spout.

Les

Latest posts

Sponsors