Sterling pendant

thughes

:::Pledge Member:::
::::Pledge Member::::
This is a little sterling pendant I made this weekend. It's just got some sharpie rubbed on it and some of Sam's wax to dull it down, so it looks kind of ratty. The lady wanted some dogwood blossoms so that's what's in the middle. Any suggestions (besides just developing more talent) on how to make the dogwoods look more real, or just not so much like a stick drawing out of a coloring book. I know it would look better if I relieved and stippled around it, but I was going for open shiny look around the flower.

Thanks
Todd

Attachments

• june 2013 002.jpg
    june 2013 002.jpg
    105.1 KB · Views: 186

scott99

Elite Cafe Member
HI, I like your pendant a bunch. As to it looking "ratty" I am not so sure . I tend to make my backgrounds very black with paint (per Sam's method) but I think you have sort of a softer look. :clapping:

I am certainly not the expert in any way but really do like the softer look you have.I don't know how durable a marker will be and because of this you might want to try another method. But "ratty does not apply here to me.It seems well cut and your goal to leave the center with brightness seems to have happened, very nice.

scott99 :tiphat:

thughes

Hi Scott, yeah the sharpie and wax was just for a quick picture to try to get some advise on the center flowers. I'll use black paint or liver of sulphur later..

Fred, thanks.

Beathard

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Todd, I like the flowers at the top and bottom (in the scrollwork) better than the ones featured in the center. I believe it is because of the shading near the center of each flower. They look more 3-D.

Southern Custom

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Leaving the dogwood flowers against the open background is the way to go. The pendant would lose it's balance if you were to relieve any more in my opinion. And my opinion is that it looks great! Sharp stipple point and black paint will look great. I do sometimes like the liver of sulfer method on things like this as well.

thughes

Thanks for looking guys.
Bethard, the thing on dogwood blooms, if you look at some, is that they have a pattern in the petals that's heavier in the center of the petal and gets lighter as you get to either end. That's what I've tried to do, but it ain't working too hot. I've tried these before because people around here love their dogwoods, but I just can't seem to get them right. Maby that's why you don't see them engraved much, huh. :)

billrice@charter.net

Elite Cafe Member
Todd

I to love engraving flowers especially with in a bouquet. Lee griffith's drawing book spends allot of time on how to design these. I like what you have done. However after a discussion with Chris Decamillis I am going to experiment more with his bulino style of engraving flowers. It helps to give the flowers more life while not doing a stipple background. Just a thought

thughes

Bill, yeah they need something. I know that bulino is much softer looking and helps get rid of that coloring book look, but I never tried it.

billrice@charter.net

Elite Cafe Member
welcome to the try new things club.
I am at a stage in my engraving that I can now focus on learning new methods to enhance my engraving and not the beginning stuff like how to sharpen a graver and which geometry is best. I believe this stage is what keeps us excited about the Hand Engraving Art. Keep up the good work

Latest posts

Sponsors