Step by step making of Rachels Stamp

Ray Cover

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
OK I have to eat crow here. Many of you guys told me to just make one. I didn't want to but I ended up being the one on the receiving end of sticker shock this time.

I will tell you this aint as easy as it looks. It certainly is not as easy as flare cutting the design and using it.

A lot of Rachel's turnings are small and I did not want to make several sizes of stamps so I made one stamp that she can use on little and big stuff alike.

We started out with Rachel picking a font for her name and designing what she wanted on her stamp. She decide on her name with three stars.

Then I took a piece of 3/8" 1095 tool steel and cut it to size, faced it off in the lathe and sanded the face.

To hold this long piece to engrave the end of it I used my cylinder engraving fixture with eh points taken out. This basically lengthened my vise jaws. I used a C clamp at the top to keep it rigid.

Next I transferred my design on and outlined the image with a 110 detailing point

Then I outlined it heavier and started the background removal process.

I finished lining off the background and then went to the grinder and ground the extra material from around the perimeter edges.

The background was removed and more was excess carved away from the perimeter. I tried a test stamping at this point and it just was too faint. It became obvious that I needed to make the text stand higher and take more away from the perimeter. so back to the bench.

I went to the rotary tool and used a tiny bur to contour the perimeter to the image as best I could and deepen the middle. Then another test stamp. Better but still not deep enough int eh middle.

You can't tell it form the photo but this one is about twice as deep as the previous step. I have a hard time getting depth shooting through one lense on my scope.

Well that one did it. We got a decent stamping this time. I have to put my glasses on to read it. I mean the stamped image is only about 5/16" across. With my glasses on it is a decent and sharp stamp.

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
And now she has a professional mark for her beautiful :fastgraver: graver handles. Nice series of photos showing an engraving process not many are familiar with. Thanks, Ray! :thumbsup:

Ray Cover

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Thanks everyone. Rachel is happy with it so I guess i did OK.

I wasn't familiar with it either Sam;)

This was definitely one of those learning to swim by being tossed in the water experiences. What I did was study pics of the stamps that were linked and posted here then gave it a try and est it. If it didn't work I tried to figure out why and go back at it. I did eventually muddle my way through it.

mitch

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
wow! i've made a few stamps over the years, but i cheated. i engraved the final image in a graphite electrode, then had a friend burn the stamp with an EDM...

grumpyphil

Elite Cafe Member
Ray-
About how deep did you finally go with the carving out?
Thanks for the tutorial. Very helpful!

Ray Cover

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Phil,

I know its hard to see the depth through one side of my scope. It's about 3-4 times as deep as I would relieve a background on scroll. Its around .035"+ I usually only relieve a scroll background 7-9 thousandths. It was tricky getting that deep in such small spaces.

Ray

DKanger

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
It was tricky getting that deep in such small spaces.
Ray,
Curious as to why you chose that route. It seems to me that it would have been easeir to make a female die, harden it, and swage a piece of rod with the tip heated to red heat into the die. Maybe I'm missing something. ?????????????

Ray Cover

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
It would have been just as tricky to get it that deep in the negative without tearing up the edges of the letters. Then I would have still had to remove all the extra from around the image. Then there is the issue of heat treating the female hob and cleaning it up. Then making another after I didn't get the heat treat right and it deformed. Then the several tries to get the male to imprint that deep and completely while hot without screwing it up. I don't' have hydraulic presses and such I would have had to strike it with a sledge and heat treat with a torch. Just carving out the stamp was definitely the easiest way for ME to do it.

Ray

Last edited:

mtgraver

Elite Cafe Member
Ray,
Must be a rash this year, a friend called today about making a steel stamp for him. I'm with you on the technique that will work in a shop like ours. I've made a number of stamps that were used to wood burn a logo or name, they were actually fun to carve since one can do that in brass. My very first stamp for non ferrous materials didn't work as planned but then again my skill level wasn't as refined, and it still worked relatively well.
A very nice job, they can be a little intimidating to get started without a little head scratching.
Mark

Ray Cover

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Thanks guys,

Right now Rachel is making a stockpile. I think her and her sister are going to make her a website with her turnings on it. She just finished up a few carbide burnisher handles in curly Koa that are really nice. she is making several graver handles and chisel handles and she has some engraving hammer handles in the works.

Ray

D.Riccardo

Ray Wow! posts , answering post, helping the daughter make engraving tools, a school Where do you find the time to engrave? anyone making a day stretcher ?

Peter E

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
KOOL Ray! Rachel should be VERY happy with that. I was thinking since Rachel is working in wood, using the stamp to burn the wood might look really good. Of course if you hardened and tempered the stamp it wouldn't be appropriate.

Paulie

Elite Cafe Member
:tiphat: That 's a nice & sharp stamp, Ray! Thank you for finding the time to create this very interesting tutorial:thumbsup::thumbsup: Greetings, Paulie:beerchug:

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
not to be pickey, but------- you should have given her 5 stars ! that's pretty neat stuff.

Latest posts

Sponsors