Steel Cronite

Engraver10

Hello dear engraving friends,

I think I already commented in a topic here asking for help to avoid oxidation of the copper plate during engraving. I am recently dedicating myself to intaglio engraving. And this technique takes longer to complete the work, but before that my board is already completely oxidized.

I recently had to clean it all up and lost the entire transfer of the original drawing, to serve as a guide.

I found out that there is a steel called Cronite, with 0.2% carbon, and that this mild steel oxidizes less than copper. Friends could help me indicate where I can buy plates measuring 10 cm x 10 cm and 1 mm thick or more.

Please look at the attached images and see how the plate looked after 5 days and after being cleaned, but with the unfinished engraving of the portrait of Abraham Lincoln.
Any help will be appreciated.

Thanks.
Best Regards

Attachments

• 20231122_210729.jpg
    20231122_210729.jpg
    120 KB · Views: 79
  • 20231204_163217.jpg
    20231204_163217.jpg
    157.9 KB · Views: 79
  • Screenshot_20231204_192759_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20231204_192759_Gallery.jpg
    147.9 KB · Views: 80

AllenClapp

Elite Cafe Member
GRS.com has 2 inch by 2 inch Cronite practice plates. If you want larger sizes, go online to www.cronite.com. Click on CATALOG in the upper menu. Scroll almost to the end down to DIE AND PLATE MATERIALS. They offer 1/2 inch [12.7 mm], 1/4 inch [6.35 mm], and 18 gauge [1.27 mm] plates. They will cut to size for you at minimal expense.

Engraver10

GRS.com has 2 inch by 2 inch Cronite practice plates. If you want larger sizes, go online to www.cronite.com. Click on CATALOG in the upper menu. Scroll almost to the end down to DIE AND PLATE MATERIALS. They offer 1/2 inch [12.7 mm], 1/4 inch [6.35 mm], and 18 gauge [1.27 mm] plates. They will cut to size for you at minimal expense.
Thank you very much my dear friend, it helped me a lot, because in my country it is very difficult to find material for engraving, I will visit this site now.

Engraver10

Phosphor bronze, will also not discolor. And it will feel similar to engraving in gold. I like it.

It is called: "Bronze fosforoso" in Brazil

Hello, thanks for the tip, I'll look in my country, unfortunately here we are very lacking in engraving material

Engraver10

how did you learn such excellent banknote style engraving?
Hi Dani, thank you very much for the compliments, this style of engraving is very superficial, the burin does not penetrate very deeply into the plate, I always tried to examine the money bills with a magnifying glass, trying to observe the behavior of the lines, as this type of engraving is based on lines, dashes, dashes and dots. is the distance between lines.

In other words, in areas where there are shadows, the lines should be closer to each other, in semi-shaded areas you can use trace and in lighter areas, dots. I'll give you an example, take a drawing or painting of a portrait. Now imagine that instead of using paint, you just use a pencil as a tool. Instead of filling an area by scribbling, you will use lines and dots to create areas of light and shadow. But always be careful with the angles that intersect to keep the drawing homogeneous.

There's a really good pencil drawing book that will give you a better idea of what I'm talking about Pen & Ink Drawing by Alphonso Dann. Look online for free PDFs. The rest is really practice. Hope this helps.

Best Regards

Latest posts

Sponsors